Character classification: novice question

Internet Citizen

I'm a little confused about this:

BOOL bTest=_istpunct(147);

In my ASCII chart, code 147 represents an open quote symbol, a "curled"
quote. But bTest is FALSE (0). It's false whether or not I have _UNICODE
defined. But isn't the character referred to by 147 a punctuation symbol?

Thanks for any insight,
Brad

Jack Klein

I'm a little confused about this:

BOOL bTest=_istpunct(147);

Whatever _istpunct() is, is not a part of the C++ language or standard
library. It is some platform-specific extension supplied by your
compiler/operating system combination.
In my ASCII chart, code 147 represents an open quote symbol, a "curled"

Your ASCII chart is wrong. In fact, it is horribly broken. ASCII
(American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is a 7 bit code.
It defines values from 0 through 127 inclusive. It never has defined
147, and never will.
quote. But bTest is FALSE (0). It's false whether or not I have _UNICODE
defined. But isn't the character referred to by 147 a punctuation symbol?

_UNICODE is also something not defined by the C++ language. Big hint
here, almost everything that starts with a leading underscore is some
non-standard extension.
Thanks for any insight,
Brad

We can't help you here, the C++ language itself doesn't define the
things you are talking about. You need to ask in a platform specific
group. Judging from the headers on your post, some place like
or one of Microsoft's support
groups in the family.

Internet Citizen

Thanks Jack, that does shed a lot of light.
Brad

Jack Klein said:
Whatever _istpunct() is, is not a part of the C++ language or standard
library. It is some platform-specific extension supplied by your
compiler/operating system combination.

Your ASCII chart is wrong. In fact, it is horribly broken. ASCII
(American Standard Code for Information Interchange) is a 7 bit code.
It defines values from 0 through 127 inclusive. It never has defined
147, and never will.
symbol?