    Abby Hart Guest

    ... is there any point in this method of attempting to hide email addresses
    from potential spam merchants?
    Abby Hart, May 25, 2004

  2. Abby Hart

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:c8u8d8$8e1$>
    Abby Hart <> said:

    > ... is there any point in this method of attempting to hide email addresses
    > from potential spam merchants?

    its debatable. there is nothing stopping a harvester from reading the
    address, it just depends if the harvester can be bothered doing it.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 25, 2004

  3. Abby Hart

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 01:44:08 +0000 (UTC), Abby Hart <>
    wrote:

    > ... is there any point in this method of attempting to hide email
    > addresses
    > from potential spam merchants?

    The procedures that have "any point" are, simply, those that the spam
    merchants choose not to try to deal with. At present, evidence seems to
    imply that &char; is not translated by the bots or their master script.
    Tomorrow... who knows?
    Neal, May 25, 2004
  4. Abby Hart

    Abby Hart Guest

    Thanks (& Brucie too)

    It's what I was thinking -- just needed a bit of push to force me off my fat
    arse and make use of the cruddy mailform supplied via my ISP (I'm too mean
    .... and have much too little traffic to warrant maintaining full cgi access)
    Looks great after I souped up the thing with a bit of ... err ... borrowed
    code ;)

    Abby Hart, May 25, 2004
  5. Abby Hart

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, May 25, 2004
  6. Abby Hart

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, May 25, 2004
  7. Abby Hart

    Abby Hart Guest

    "Mark Parnell" wrote in
    > > http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

    > That report was my first thought too, though it is getting rather old
    > now. Anyone know of any more recent research on the topic?

    That article refers to the amount of traffic (hitting the site where
    addresses can be read) being a significant factor.

    Apocryphal evidence relating to spam is mostly conflicting. For example I
    have around 100 users subscribed to an egroup maintained by Mailman - there
    was some argument recently about whether the html archives (which contain
    the posters' email addresses.) have encouraged and increase in out spam
    experience. I asserted (more in hope than in certainty) that the archive has
    far too little traffic to attract spam harvesters ... In fact the list-admin
    address catches huge amounts of spam that is sent to the
    addess (more than I receive in 3 different domains pop3's put together) 12
    months ago I blamed that fact on a helper who had been merrily returning all
    spam with a nice little message explaining that only memeber may post ...
    now -- after 12 months of just dumping the stuff with no signs of a let-up
    I'm not so sure ... but I'm very glad it's not me who has to 'clean out'
    every day ...

    Abby Hart, May 26, 2004