character restrictions in names

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dan Platton, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Dan Platton

    Dan Platton Guest

    Dear all,

    I'm having some difficulty in explaining to a colleague
    that living in 2003 it should be possible to use 'strange'
    characters in a program to identify entries and entities,
    but he argues it is not the prefferable way to work under
    unix and therefore the plain alpha numeric characters should
    be used.

    I would agree on the point where it comes to creating queries
    where the other then plain numeric characters can cause problems
    (like quotes, percentages, etc.) which needs to be escaped.

    On the other hand people in different languages use some of those
    characters, and given the fact that Java strings works with unicode
    internally I was wondering if it is really possible to work with
    strange characters in current programs without to much trouble
    with storage to file or database. It could be offcource my perception
    on this matter is way off track, but I feel it should be no problem,
    or is it?

    Regards,
    Dan

    Dan Platton, Aug 27, 2003