Charset (iso-8859-1) problem

baalbek

Hi, I have a webpage with a href that loads another page w/ a form, and
the forms textfields are set with values like this:

href="set_uts_upd_params?oid=55&type=kjøl"

Now, when the new page loads with its form values set, I have problems
with the unicode characters (the iso-8859-1 charset family); they show
up with weird substitution character instead of the correct character.

For example, the type parameter (=kjøl) in the example above shows up as
kjøl , where ø is substituted for ø.

What to do?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Baalbek

Jukka K. Korpela

baalbek said:
Hi, I have a webpage with a href that loads another page w/ a form,
and the forms textfields are set with values like this:

href="set_uts_upd_params?oid=55&type=kjøl"

First, you multiposted your question. That's very unproductive.

Second, for a form with method="get", things are undefined for any non-
ASCII characters in the data. Check HTML specs on this.
Now, when the new page loads with its form values set, I have
problems with the unicode characters (the iso-8859-1 charset
family);

You seem to confuse Unicode with ISO 8859-1.
they show up with weird substitution character instead of
the correct character.

Not really.
For example, the type parameter (=kjøl) in the example above shows
up as kjøl , where ø is substituted for ø

Maybe. It's undefined, so browsers might, for example, do that.
What to do?

Use method="post" and check
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/form-i18n.html