    videos on a web page, along with a chart that lets people know how long
    it will take to download them with their connection.

    Thanks in advance.
    Winston, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Winston

    kayodeok Guest

    Winston <> wrote in
    news:66L5b.10881$:

    > Anyone know of a good webmaster-type resource that gives you a
    > chart of estimated file download times for large files (e.g.,
    > videos), broken down by connection speeds? I want to post some
    > fairly huge QuickTime videos on a web page, along with a chart
    > that lets people know how long it will take to download them
    > with their connection.

    Did you try google?
    http://www.google.com/search?q=~chart download times

    Second one on the list:

    How long will it take to download that file?
    http://www.missico.com/personal/support/download_times.htm

    ....on closer inspection, I am not sure it is accurate; a 10mb video
    downloads in 40 mins on a 56kb modem connected at 48kbps
    (1 megabyte downloads in 4mins - on average)

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/
    kayodeok, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Winston

    Augustus Guest

    "kayodeok" <> wrote in message
    > Did you try google?
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=~chart download times
    >
    > Second one on the list:
    >
    > How long will it take to download that file?
    > http://www.missico.com/personal/support/download_times.htm
    >
    > ...on closer inspection, I am not sure it is accurate; a 10mb video
    > downloads in 40 mins on a 56kb modem connected at 48kbps
    > (1 megabyte downloads in 4mins - on average)

    Its pretty much right on... a 56k modem can download about 18MB an hour...
    so 10MB is about 35 minutes (and thats assuming things are pretty much close
    to optimal)
    Augustus, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Winston

    Winston Guest

    Winston, Sep 5, 2003
  5. "Winston" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a good webmaster-type resource that gives you a chart of
    > estimated file download times for large files (e.g., videos), broken
    > down by connection speeds? I want to post some fairly huge QuickTime
    > videos on a web page, along with a chart that lets people know how long
    > it will take to download them with their connection.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Winston,
    Thank you for your post. I have download video(s) on my site and plan to do
    the same thing. If you want to encourage people to download your video,
    then I would suggest taking the most optimistic number and saying
    approximately before it.
    What is your site?
    If anyone would like to download the free video on my site, I would like to
    know how long it took you and what your connection is.
    Regards,
    Christopher
    www.easydesktopyoga.com
    Christopher R, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Winston

    Winston Guest

    Thanks Christopher. Nice site - I could use some office yoga myself!
    The videos I was referring to are for a client - not my own.
    Winston, Sep 6, 2003