charting

Gary Wessle

Dear python users

I am just wondering if python is the language to use to build a custom
charting package which is live updated from live data stream coming
through a socket. as well as dynamically execute data analysis code
on the data being fed. I have been looking at SpecTix.

thank you

bwaha

Gary Wessle said:
Dear python users

I am just wondering if python is the language to use to build a custom
charting package which is live updated from live data stream coming
through a socket. as well as dynamically execute data analysis code
on the data being fed. I have been looking at SpecTix.

thank you

can't help much with the details but have you checked out the matplotlib
library? http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/ Its an excellent python plotting
library. As I recall there's a sample to do with realtime updating of data
from an ECG.

As for whether python is the language to use ... fwiw ... if you're a
programmer then it is a no brainer to use, has a wealth of library support
and has a fantastic community to help you out ... and if your not a
programmer .... need I say more.

bwaha

akameswaran

I have used matplotlib along with numpy numerics etc for some analysis.
Just home projects, but I have found python a much faster/better
language for such development than Java. That being said, i have found
the network aspects of other apps i've written to be much easier/faster
in java. This could be due to my relative inexperience with python
networking libraries compared to Java.

Python is likely a great choice. If you find some sections of the
analytics performing poorly, you can implement those functions in C. A
well modularized design in python will lend itself to relatively easy
optimization via C libraries if you need them. FYI - I am not a C
programmer, but the kind of mathematical functions that get written for
optimization typically are trivial in C(meaning I could write them -
and I still don't get pointer arithmatic). While Python may not be the
"best" language/implementation stack to use. It is likely to still be
a "good" choice for the type of app you describe.

Is it THE langauge? couldn't tell you, that's decision that also
entails a realistic look at the resources you have for development, the
overall size/scale of the proposed system. External integration points
etc.

Additional things to thinka bout are licensing restrictions, IP issues.
Is this something you want to sell in the future, a purely in-house
tool? Most of my charting has been for personal purposes, so those
considerations don't really matter to me - but are something to
consider.