    through a socket. as well as dynamically execute data analysis code
    on the data being fed. I have been looking at SpecTix.

    thank you

    Gary Wessle, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Gary Wessle

    bwaha Guest

    "Gary Wessle" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dear python users
    >
    > I am just wondering if python is the language to use to build a custom
    > charting package which is live updated from live data stream coming
    > through a socket. as well as dynamically execute data analysis code
    > on the data being fed. I have been looking at SpecTix.
    >
    > thank you

    can't help much with the details but have you checked out the matplotlib
    library? http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/ Its an excellent python plotting
    library. As I recall there's a sample to do with realtime updating of data
    from an ECG.

    As for whether python is the language to use ... fwiw ... if you're a
    programmer then it is a no brainer to use, has a wealth of library support
    and has a fantastic community to help you out ... and if your not a
    programmer .... need I say more.

    bwaha

    bwaha, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Gary Wessle

    Guest

    I have used matplotlib along with numpy numerics etc for some analysis.
    Just home projects, but I have found python a much faster/better
    language for such development than Java. That being said, i have found
    the network aspects of other apps i've written to be much easier/faster
    in java. This could be due to my relative inexperience with python
    networking libraries compared to Java.

    Python is likely a great choice. If you find some sections of the
    analytics performing poorly, you can implement those functions in C. A
    well modularized design in python will lend itself to relatively easy
    optimization via C libraries if you need them. FYI - I am not a C
    programmer, but the kind of mathematical functions that get written for
    optimization typically are trivial in C(meaning I could write them -
    and I still don't get pointer arithmatic). While Python may not be the
    "best" language/implementation stack to use. It is likely to still be
    a "good" choice for the type of app you describe.

    Is it THE langauge? couldn't tell you, that's decision that also
    entails a realistic look at the resources you have for development, the
    overall size/scale of the proposed system. External integration points
    etc.

    Additional things to thinka bout are licensing restrictions, IP issues.
    Is this something you want to sell in the future, a purely in-house
    tool? Most of my charting has been for personal purposes, so those
    considerations don't really matter to me - but are something to
    consider.

    , Apr 20, 2006