Charts

jonny

Hello I need some advice here...

I am wanting to make a website that pulls data out of a database and
compiles charts/ graphs. I do not want to use crystal reports because
there are to many license restrictions and costs. I need something
that is run-time free, unlimited users, redistributable, etc. Here is
an example of what I want to do:

Please go to this website link below; and type in username: demo and
password: demouser

http://www.leanimpact.com/Login.aspx

then click on Reporting from the menu. This is exactly what I am
trying to accomplish but I need advice on best third party charts /
graphs to make this task easy.

Experts please help. Thanks.

jonny

Have you ever heard [of]
Yes.

or used this?
No.

What is your opinion?

See above...

Thanks Mark. I think what you just turned me on to here will do
everything I need to do that I was thinking I would have to spend
about $2600. Is this correct? I mean will this allow me to make
software for companies redistributable that does everything that for
example i could do by spending $2600 with http://www.softwarefx.com/ ,
http://www.componentsource.com will do???? Have you ever heard of
http://www.componentsource.com...just carious to see and if you agree
this asp.net charts you turned me on to will do all that? Your
response is very much appreciated.

Well thank you very very much sir!!!!!!

jonny

I have no idea how much you would have to spend.

Yes.

Hi Mark,

I am trying out this chart control and ran into a snag and maybe you
know the answer to this.

I have a sql table with four column named Availability, Performance,
Quality and OEE. I am wanting to make a simple bar graph with each of
the columns having its on bar in the graph. However this is not
exactly the x and y relationship that the .net graph control is
looking for since it wants to see the value and name in separate
columns such as...

COLUMN 1/name COLUMN 2/value
Availability .5
Performance .75
Quality .88
OEE .75

Off course if I had the information in a table like above I would have
no problem making the chart since the .net chart control is looking
for this x and y format. However my data is in the table like so...

Column 1/ Availability Column 2/ Performance Column
3/ Quality Column 4/ OEE
..5 .
75 .88 .75

So you see I have to figure out a way to get the chart to read my
table in this format. Do you have any suggestions or examples on how
to get around this. Another program is putting the data into sql this
was so I cannot just change the sql table structure without totally
reprogramming so I have to find away to pull the data out of the table
while in this format.

I really appreciate your help and expertise. Thanks.

jonny

You can do pretty much anything you like in VB.NET if you really want to.

The question here, though, is why on earth would you want to spend time
writing something in VB.NET which can be achieved with half a dozen lines of
T-SQL...?

Modify the SQL table? Who suggested doing that? I certainly didn't...

Thanks Mark. You said a half dozen lines of T-SQL will do the trick.
Could you please share with me this code example as I am really
struggling to comprehend and understand this. I read through the link
you sent earlier but could not make out how to achieve it.

jonny

The link I gave you was a Google search which returned dozens of examples of
how to do precisely what you are looking for:

Here's one:http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1019

I'm afraid I just don't have the time to actually write your application for
you...

Mark I finally got this one with your direction. I had to use the
UNPIVOT query method to achieve result. I got to this from the link
you sent me. I really appreciate your help.