Chat Server in Ruby

Sebestyén Gábor

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Ruby as the server solution of a new chat
software to write. The client would be Java they would communicate
through http. Therefore Ruby would be behind Apache and it should use
mysql as data backend.

I'm asking you please help me making easy decision is Ruby enough
stable, secure and scalable(?) to use it as server?
Thank you,

Gábor

Curt Hibbs

Sebestyén Gábor said:
Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Ruby as the server solution of a new chat
software to write. The client would be Java they would communicate
through http. Therefore Ruby would be behind Apache and it should use
mysql as data backend.

I'm asking you please help me making easy decision is Ruby enough
stable, secure and scalable(?) to use it as server?
Thank you,

You might want to consider using lighttpd, fastcgi, and ruby. All reports so
far seem to indicate that it is a very fast, scalable combination.

Curt

George Moschovitis

I have written a chat server in ruby using sockets and threads that
commonucates with a Flash frontend. So it can be done.

-g.