Chat with ASP.NET. Web Services or Remote Script?

Dexter

Hello all,
I need to build a chat using ASP.NET (VB), this chat is to the
online communication with customers.
I would like to know what is best. To use webservices or to use remote
script?

thanks

Dexter

Guest

Hi,
I would rather prefered remoting than web services for online comunication
application because,
1] Perfomance wise remoting is best than web services.
2] Remoting provides wellknown and client activated objects. Means you have
number of options to handle situations, you come accross while developing
online communication application
3] You can create your own customize communication channels with remoting
which is not possible with webservices.

etc.

Thanx,

bruce barker

there are problems with both

1) web service requires an active/x control (xmlhttp) and a web behavior in
IE, (fine with mozilla/firefox as webservice calls are builtin), which the
user may have disabled
2) remote scripting uses a java applet as callback method - may also be
disabled

the best it to use a hidden frame/iframe for the polling - this is the most
approach used for most web chat clients.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Hello all,
| I need to build a chat using ASP.NET (VB), this chat is to the
| online communication with customers.
| I would like to know what is best. To use webservices or to use remote
| script?
|
| thanks
|

| Dexter

Jeff @ Dart

Dexter, if you use remote scripting, our new product (LiveControls for
ASP.NET) would help you greatly. It is a suite of 20+ server controls
that are fully remote scripted (the ASP.NET postback is replaced with a
remote scripted callback. All the javascript work to update the UI is
already done for you). They are cross browser compatible and have been
tested in IE5.0 + (PC and Mac), Mozilla 1.3+ (PC and Mac), Opera,
Galeon, Konqueror, etc.

http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
or
http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

If I were building a chat application, the following LiveControls would
be useful to me:
- LiveGrid - To show the list of available rooms in a grid...also to
show the list of chatters in a room.
- LiveTextBox - To allow a user to enter text.
- LiveButton - To send the text to the webserver.
- LiveLabel - To display the chat transcript.
- LiveSound - To play sound effects where appropriate (like a doorbell
alert when a new user enters the room, etc).
- LiveTimer - To poll the webserver for new chat messages.