    script?

    thanks

    Dexter
    Dexter, Jan 14, 2005

  2. remoting

    Hi,
    I would rather prefered remoting than web services for online comunication
    application because,
    1] Perfomance wise remoting is best than web services.
    2] Remoting provides wellknown and client activated objects. Means you have
    number of options to handle situations, you come accross while developing
    online communication application
    3] You can create your own customize communication channels with remoting
    which is not possible with webservices.

    etc.

    Thanx,

    =?Utf-8?B?aTlhcmNhbmVz?=, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Dexter

    bruce barker Guest

    there are problems with both

    1) web service requires an active/x control (xmlhttp) and a web behavior in
    IE, (fine with mozilla/firefox as webservice calls are builtin), which the
    user may have disabled
    2) remote scripting uses a java applet as callback method - may also be
    disabled

    the best it to use a hidden frame/iframe for the polling - this is the most
    approach used for most web chat clients.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Dexter

    Jeff @ Dart Guest

    Dexter, if you use remote scripting, our new product (LiveControls for
    ASP.NET) would help you greatly. It is a suite of 20+ server controls
    that are fully remote scripted (the ASP.NET postback is replaced with a
    remote scripted callback. All the javascript work to update the UI is
    already done for you). They are cross browser compatible and have been
    tested in IE5.0 + (PC and Mac), Mozilla 1.3+ (PC and Mac), Opera,
    Galeon, Konqueror, etc.

    http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
    or
    http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

    If I were building a chat application, the following LiveControls would
    be useful to me:
    - LiveGrid - To show the list of available rooms in a grid...also to
    show the list of chatters in a room.
    - LiveTextBox - To allow a user to enter text.
    - LiveButton - To send the text to the webserver.
    - LiveLabel - To display the chat transcript.
    - LiveSound - To play sound effects where appropriate (like a doorbell
    alert when a new user enters the room, etc).
    - LiveTimer - To poll the webserver for new chat messages.
    Jeff @ Dart, Jan 16, 2005