chatterbot in java

PiotrJJ

Hello !

I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
know-how (how to make it) knowledge.

Thanks

David Moss

Hello !

I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
know-how (how to make it) knowledge.

I wrote something like this in another language a few years ago. (not
JAVA) I rewrote the ELIZA program to handle the conversational part and
included a section which parsed incoming text against the contents of a
database. This allowed it to "learn" and reply with facts when it
recognised something it "knew". I called the thing "Plato", the host
name of my computer at the time.

Teaching was accomplished as part of the conversation stream with the
construct: "Tell Plato that X is Y". Plato would reply with "I now
believe X is Y".

If Plato noticed X mentioned in a conversation from then on it would
state that "X is Y".

I connected the input stream to a CGI web page allowing people on the
net to "converse" with Plato, but it could have been connected to any
chat stream.

Good luck, I had great fun with Plato in the "lite" language of MSQL.
JAVA is far more versatile so you should have even more fun.

Andrew

PiotrJJ said:
I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

I've written chatterbots in both Java and Prolog. For Java based efforts, I'd
suggest you take a look at AliceBot <http://www.alicebot.org/>

Specifically, there are a bunch of Java chatterbots that make use of the AIML
markup language available for download at <http://www.alicebot.org/downloads/>.

That should give you an excellent starting point for designing and implementing
your own. Of course, there's also a bunch of documentation available, both in
the various download packages, and on the alicebot site.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ramza Brown

PiotrJJ said:
Hello !

I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
know-how (how to make it) knowledge.

Thanks
This is a messed up implementation in java(Spiritbot). It uses
jibbler's IRC framework.

http://www.jibble.org/

My design didn't have much direction. I may document it in the future
and actually describe my direction.

http://spiritbot.sourceforge.net/

Also, you can see javabot on the #java freenode channel. Pretty cool,
doenst really use AI.

http://lavender.cime.net/~ricky/javabot.html