    internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

    Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
    know-how (how to make it) knowledge.

    Thanks
    PiotrJJ, Jul 3, 2005

  2. PiotrJJ

    David Moss Guest

    In article <da8h4k$1uie$>, writes...

    > Hello !
    >

    > I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
    > anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
    > internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??
    >

    > Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
    > know-how (how to make it) knowledge.

    I wrote something like this in another language a few years ago. (not
    JAVA) I rewrote the ELIZA program to handle the conversational part and
    included a section which parsed incoming text against the contents of a
    database. This allowed it to "learn" and reply with facts when it
    recognised something it "knew". I called the thing "Plato", the host
    name of my computer at the time.

    Teaching was accomplished as part of the conversation stream with the
    construct: "Tell Plato that X is Y". Plato would reply with "I now
    believe X is Y".

    If Plato noticed X mentioned in a conversation from then on it would
    state that "X is Y".

    I connected the input stream to a CGI web page allowing people on the
    net to "converse" with Plato, but it could have been connected to any
    chat stream.

    Good luck, I had great fun with Plato in the "lite" language of MSQL.
    JAVA is far more versatile so you should have even more fun.

    --
    DM
    personal opinion only
    David Moss, Jul 3, 2005

  3. PiotrJJ

    Andrew Guest

    "PiotrJJ" <> writes:

    >I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
    >anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
    >internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

    I've written chatterbots in both Java and Prolog. For Java based efforts, I'd
    suggest you take a look at AliceBot <http://www.alicebot.org/>

    Specifically, there are a bunch of Java chatterbots that make use of the AIML
    markup language available for download at <http://www.alicebot.org/downloads/>.

    That should give you an excellent starting point for designing and implementing
    your own. Of course, there's also a bunch of documentation available, both in
    the various download packages, and on the alicebot site.

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Andrew, Jul 4, 2005
  4. PiotrJJ

    Ramza Brown Guest

    PiotrJJ wrote:
    > Hello !
    >

    > I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA. Can
    > anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
    > internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??
    >

    > Subject is very interesting I've read a lot about it but I need more
    > know-how (how to make it) knowledge.
    >

    > Thanks

    This is a messed up implementation in java(Spiritbot). It uses
    jibbler's IRC framework.

    http://www.jibble.org/

    My design didn't have much direction. I may document it in the future
    and actually describe my direction.

    http://spiritbot.sourceforge.net/

    Also, you can see javabot on the #java freenode channel. Pretty cool,
    doenst really use AI.

    http://lavender.cime.net/~ricky/javabot.html
    Ramza Brown, Jul 19, 2005
  5. PiotrJJ

    Joan Guest

    <snip>
    > > I'm trying to find tutorials - how to create simple chatterbot in JAVA.

    Can
    > > anyone tell mi where can I find any - or examples of source code on the
    > > internet? Maybe good book - but mostly about chatterbot ??

    "Head First Java" book

    <snip>
    Joan, Jul 19, 2005