chatting through jsp

iceman

i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
internet..........
i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
objects......but the problem is that they are created only

when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
explicitly controlled..................
maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
addresses.....
ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
any other idea ia also welcome......

Alex.From.Ohio.Java

i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
internet..........
i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
objects......but the problem is that they are created only

when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
explicitly controlled..................
maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
addresses.....
ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
any other idea ia also welcome......

Really cool idea, iceman!
And what will be listening for such request?
If that could be possible then hackers don't need to spend any efforts
to write viruses, trojans or other malicious software.
Just go directly to the computer and do whatever you want to do.

Alex.
http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/

Andrew Thompson

I can't say that it's the best, or the worst, or anything in between, but
OpenFire works well, installs readily and has yet to crash unexpectedly for
me.  The only gotcha was that I have to specify JAVA_HOME on the command line
when I sudo..

Uhh.. 'sudo'? Was that a typo., or am I more
drunk than I suspected(/deserve)?
.. the startup, on this Ubuntu box.

OK - I've heard of Ubuntu - I'm not *that* ignorant!

Lew

Uhh.. 'sudo'?  Was that a typo., or am I more
drunk than I suspected(/deserve)?

The latter.
OK - I've heard of Ubuntu - I'm not *that* ignorant!

'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;
you have to prefix a command with 'sudo' and give a password to run
certain commands. OpenFire needed strong access to certain
directories so I start it with a 'sudo JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/java
openfire.sh start' command, or something like that. (I'm not near
that box now to check.)

Mark Space

Lew said:
'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;

For those more familiar with traditional Unix systems, sudo is like the
'su' sommand -- switch user or super-user. Unlike su, sudo runs a
command instead of giving you a shell. sudo is supposed to be safer
since it prevents accidental changes due to typos and such.

sudo has been around for a while and I think is available on all the
'nix's now.

Lars Enderin

Mark said:
For those more familiar with traditional Unix systems, sudo is like the
'su' sommand -- switch user or super-user. Unlike su, sudo runs a
command instead of giving you a shell. sudo is supposed to be safer
since it prevents accidental changes due to typos and such.
If you use sudo to start an xterm, for example, you can type new
commands as root without the sudo prefix. In my Ubuntu there is also a
root terminal utility.

John B. Matthews

Lew said:
Since 'sh' (or 'bash') is a command, as 'xterm' is, it can be sudoed. Thus
'sudo' sacrifices none of the power of 'su'. The "root terminal utility" is
nothing more nor less than the "terminal utility".

Indeed, sudo -s offers a convenient way to invoke your defined shell,
with the attendant risk. The benefits of sudo lie somewhat more in
sudoers, which allows unprivileged users to execute well-defined,
privileged commands. See the sudoers manual, for example,

<http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/man/sudoers.html>

[Sorry this is OT for the thread, but I think it's apropos to Java
programming generally.]

thufir

Uhh.. 'sudo'? Was that a typo., or am I more drunk than I
suspected(/deserve)?

Maybe more linux related, so take there, but, why are you mucking with
JAVA_HOME? That should be configured in ubuntu when you run sudo (you're
no more drunk than usual, Andrew) and configure Java.

-Thufir