Cheap Compiler and a Book

IS

I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could recommend?
Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

Thanks.

IS.

Brooks Moses

IS said:
I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could recommend?

Well, the simplest recommendation is the Gnu C compiler, GCC -- that's
what I use. So long as you don't mind using a command-line program
rather than a pretty GUI, it's quite good, and (being Gnu) it doesn't
cost anything.

Microsoft also appears to make a command-line version of their C++
compiler available for free download, although I haven't tried it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

That depends heavily on what you already know, I think -- in particular,
how good a programmer (in other languages) are you already? Do you know
C?

I'd already been programming in Fortran for ten years when I decided to
learn C++, and so I found Stroustrop's _The C++ Programming Language_
(and a good idea of a problem I wanted to solve) to be more effective
than most so-called "beginner books" for learning the language. But I
may be weird that way.... The first few chapters have a good tour
through the basics of the language, with examples, which are at a level
appropriate for people who are already reasonably good programmers in
other languages; the rest of it is a fairly complete reference guide to
the standard libraries, which .

- Brooks

Peter van Merkerk

Brooks said:
Well, the simplest recommendation is the Gnu C compiler, GCC -- that's
what I use. So long as you don't mind using a command-line program
rather than a pretty GUI, it's quite good, and (being Gnu) it doesn't
cost anything.

If you do want an IDE with the GCC C++ compiler download DevC++:
http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

(doesn't cost anything either)

Ivan Vecerina

IS said:
I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could recommend?
Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

DevC++ is a popular choice for beginners (GNU compiler in a graphical
IDE): http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

You'll find several tutorials on-line, but for a book I would
suggest "Accelerated C++" if you already have done some programming
(written by Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo)
For absolute beginners who want to start with C++, I've heard
"You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction to Computer Programming"
(by Francis Glassborow) is a good choice.

hth -Ivan

Peter van Merkerk

IS said:
I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could recommend?

The GNU C++ compiler is very good as far as language compliance is
concerned and is free. If you use Linux it is probably in the
distribution you are using. If you use Windows, you can download the
Windows version here: http://mingw.org/ . This is only a command-line
compiler, which is probably Ok for learning purposes. If you prefer a
nice GUI for this compiler look here: http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

I recommend against using older compilers like Microsoft Visual Studio
6.0, because those compilers are not very compliant with the C++
standard, which may be confusing when learning a new language.
Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

If you don't want to spend any money you could download "Thinking in
C++" here:

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

If you are willing to spend some money on a book, consider this one:
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Andre Heinen

Well, the simplest recommendation is the Gnu C compiler, GCC -- that's
what I use. So long as you don't mind using a command-line program
rather than a pretty GUI, it's quite good, and (being Gnu) it doesn't
cost anything.

You can also use Gcc with a pretty GUI, both under Windows or
Linux. Check Dev-C++:
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
I'd already been programming in Fortran for ten years when I decided to
learn C++, and so I found Stroustrop's _The C++ Programming Language_
(and a good idea of a problem I wanted to solve) to be more effective
than most so-called "beginner books" for learning the language.

This is, of course, a matter of personal taste, but really I
wouldn't recommend Stroustrup's book to learn the language. It's
more useful as a reference.

Perhaps the OP can go check Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" at
http://www.mindview.net/
As it is freely downloadable, it won't cost a buck to check
whether it suits his needs.

Chris Dearlove

Ivan Vecerina ([email protected]) wrote:
: For absolute beginners who want to start with C++, I've heard
: "You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction to Computer Programming"
: (by Francis Glassborow) is a good choice.

It also comes with a CD ROM with a development environment (using gcc)
on it, so it may answer both halves of the OP's question.

Moritz Beller

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:04:42 GMT
IS said:
I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could
recommend? Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

I suggest "Beginning C++" by Ivor Horton if you already have a basic
understanding of programming. Otherwise you'll be surprised about how he
solves problems and may even wonder yourself "what the hell is he doing
there?". Personally, I have already gained programming experience in
some Basic dialects, Pascal, Perl and PHP for several years, so I didn't
find it that difficult. Still, if you're new to that all, it may be a
bit too complicated.

Another vote for GCC. But real men don't need any GUIs, since they
write their everything with GNU Emacs ;-)

best regards
Moritz Beller

Peter van Merkerk

Moritz said:
Another vote for GCC. But real men don't need any GUIs, since they
write their everything with GNU Emacs ;-)

I thought real men everything with VI or even better copy con main.cpp :)

Jonne Lehtinen

Peter said:
I thought real men everything with VI or even better copy con main.cpp :)

Bleh, real men use Vim ;)

anyway, if you DO have some cash to spend then I personally recommend
"Problem solving with C++: The object of programming" (4th edition) by
Walter Savitch. I really liked this book.

I'm a linux user myself so I use G++, but a month ago or so I was
looking for a proper compiler and environment for windows, but I
really couldn't find any other than cygwin/g++ + vim :)
I think windows command prompt isn't suitable for that and
MinGW was a pain to configure and work with even with MSYS.

- Jonne Lehtinen

Peter van Merkerk

Jonne said:
Bleh, real men use Vim ;)

anyway, if you DO have some cash to spend then I personally recommend
"Problem solving with C++: The object of programming" (4th edition) by
Walter Savitch. I really liked this book.

I'm a linux user myself so I use G++, but a month ago or so I was
looking for a proper compiler and environment for windows, but I
really couldn't find any other than cygwin/g++ + vim :)
I think windows command prompt isn't suitable for that and
MinGW was a pain to configure and work with even with MSYS.

Wimps would use DevC++ ( http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html ) instead :)

IS

I do appreciate your helpfulness.

I have download those books, and compilers you recommended.

I got a book called "C++ programming for the absolute beginner" the only
problem is that although the writers thoroughly describes a compiler and how
to do things in it, it is an expensive compiler called "CodeWarrior". I
can't afford to spend that kind of money on something I'm just getting
started with.

I now have the DevC++ and Bloodshed. I think for a beginner having an
interface is helpful.

Thanks for your recommendations.

IS.

Moritz Beller

I thought real men everything with VI or even better copy con main.cpp
:)

Hey, Emacs even makes my coffee http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/
;)

This reminds me of a comic I downloaded recently. It was something like:

actor 1: "and even though man and universe have always been one ..."
a 2: "yeah, but every little thing is made of smaller and more basic
things itself"
a 1: "yes, you're right, but they form a senseless and unbreakable unity
which doesn't make any sense at all. Mr Brown Bumble said so in his last
issue 'cosmic bu(b|m)ble gum' ..."
a 2: "Yes, but God didn't conceive a united world. just ..."
a 1: "DON'T GET GOD INTO THIS!"
a 3 (entering the room): "vi versus emacs again?"
a 2 (pointing to a 1): "He started it!"

best regards
Moritz Beller

Brooks Moses

Jonne said:
I'm a linux user myself so I use G++, but a month ago or so I was
looking for a proper compiler and environment for windows, but I
really couldn't find any other than cygwin/g++ + vim :)

In my opinion, cygwin is a necessary Windows utility if one plans to be
doing any sort of serious non-GUI work.
I think windows command prompt isn't suitable for that and
MinGW was a pain to configure and work with even with MSYS.

Nonetheless, if one runs DOSKEY (doesn't that happen by default in XP
now) to be able to edit commands and use the up-arrow to recall
previous, and pokes about in the registry to enable tab-completion, the
windows command prompt can be much improved from its default state.

- Brooks

Unforgiven

IS said:
I'm about to study C++ on my own.
I was wandering if there are any cheap C++ compilers you could recommend?
Also can you recommend a beginner book for me too?

Just cause everyone else is pointing to GCC, and it wouldn't make sense if I
did too:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit (compiler, no GUI):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta (compiler + GUI, but still in beta)
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx

Both are 100% free.

Brooks Moses

Julián Albo said:
*Real* men in ms-dos do COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE

You know, I had this conversation way back when I was in high school.
After a few more iterations that have been managed here, we came to the
conclusion that Real Programmers write their programs directly on the
memory chips by waving a magnetic screwdriver over them.

- Brooks

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Brooks said:
You know, I had this conversation way back when I was in high school.
After a few more iterations that have been managed here, we came to the
conclusion that Real Programmers write their programs directly on the
memory chips by waving a magnetic screwdriver over them.

My favourite version is connecting a morse manipulator to the serial port
and do COPY COM1 PROGRAM.EXE. The bigger the baud rate used, the better the
programmer.

You can also use a laser pointer and a magnifying glass to burn the program
in a cd.