Cheap server recommendations sought

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tlshell@concentric.net, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Guest

    (I thought I'd already posted but can't seem to find it or any
    replies...sorry if I "bore" anyone!)

    A friend is looking for cheap (around $5/month) ad-free hosting for a
    hobby site and wants to know which ones are dependable and have good
    site-building tools. She doesn't know HTML and plans to learn later,
    but in the meantime wants to get the site up and running as quickly as
    possible; it's to help a group of people with a specific demographic
    connect with each other by filling out an information form, and then
    using a login with password to access the [smallish] resulting
    database and site services. She asked me about the following:

    http://angelfire.lycos.com/
    http://www.geocities.com/
    http://www.freeservers.com/

    I realize this is complicated but does anyone have any comments or
    suggestions? I'll read the answers here of course.

    Thanks!

    --
    Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

    , Jun 16, 2004

  2. SpaceGirl Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > (I thought I'd already posted but can't seem to find it or any
    > replies...sorry if I "bore" anyone!)
    >
    > A friend is looking for cheap (around $5/month) ad-free hosting for a
    > hobby site and wants to know which ones are dependable and have good
    > site-building tools. She doesn't know HTML and plans to learn later,
    > but in the meantime wants to get the site up and running as quickly as
    > possible; it's to help a group of people with a specific demographic
    > connect with each other by filling out an information form, and then
    > using a login with password to access the [smallish] resulting
    > database and site services. She asked me about the following:
    >
    > http://angelfire.lycos.com/
    > http://www.geocities.com/
    > http://www.freeservers.com/
    >
    > I realize this is complicated but does anyone have any comments or
    > suggestions? I'll read the answers here of course.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    > / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

    For a couple of dollars more you could get a do-everything host... our host
    (easyCGI.com) have some hosting plans that start around that - a proper host
    with great support and lots of extra facilities. Avoid all three that you
    mentioned as they are all awful.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 16, 2004

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:44:32 +0100, "SpaceGirl"
    <> took a very strange rock and inscribed
    these words:

    >For a couple of dollars more you could get a do-everything host... our host
    >(easyCGI.com) have some hosting plans that start around that - a proper host
    >with great support and lots of extra facilities. Avoid all three that you
    >mentioned as they are all awful.

    Thanks but could you be a bit more specific than "awful"? Why are they
    awful?

    I've heard Geocities can be slow, but I've been so out of the loop
    lately that I don't know if even that is true. And I imagine if it is,
    then probably all the others are, too. However, I don't know if that's
    enough to qualify as "awful" in your book?

    --
    Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

    , Jun 17, 2004
  4. Neal Guest

    On 16 Jun 2004 22:40:29 EDT, <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:44:32 +0100, "SpaceGirl"
    > <> took a very strange rock and inscribed
    > these words:
    >
    >> For a couple of dollars more you could get a do-everything host... our
    >> host
    >> (easyCGI.com) have some hosting plans that start around that - a proper
    >> host
    >> with great support and lots of extra facilities. Avoid all three that
    >> you
    >> mentioned as they are all awful.

    > Thanks but could you be a bit more specific than "awful"? Why are they
    > awful?
    >
    > I've heard Geocities can be slow, but I've been so out of the loop
    > lately that I don't know if even that is true. And I imagine if it is,
    > then probably all the others are, too. However, I don't know if that's
    > enough to qualify as "awful" in your book?

    I learned how to code on a Geocities site. For the very beginning HTML
    author it's a cheap way to get stuff on ther web.

    But Geocities adds invalid code to pages. You cannot do many things you
    really ought to do because of the limitations on your interaction with the
    server. No CGIs except for their own. Nothing close to htaccess.

    If all you want is to put up your Buffy reviews, I suppose it's OK. But if
    you want to develop anything resembling a website, spend a few bucks.

    Neal, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Frogleg Guest

    On 16 Jun 2004 08:34:04 EDT, wrote:

    >A friend is looking for cheap (around $5/month) ad-free hosting for a
    >hobby site and wants to know which ones are dependable and have good
    >site-building tools.

    Many (most?) large ISP's include some hosting space and a tool to
    build a simple web site. AOL, Earthlink, and Compuserve all have this.
    There is no charge for these. I notice that concentric.net has a
    "personal web site", and may have a site-builder, too.

    Frogleg, Jun 17, 2004
  6. SpaceGirl Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:44:32 +0100, "SpaceGirl"
    > <> took a very strange rock and inscribed
    > these words:
    >
    > >For a couple of dollars more you could get a do-everything host... our

    host
    > >(easyCGI.com) have some hosting plans that start around that - a proper

    host
    > >with great support and lots of extra facilities. Avoid all three that you
    > >mentioned as they are all awful.

    > Thanks but could you be a bit more specific than "awful"? Why are they
    > awful?
    >
    > I've heard Geocities can be slow, but I've been so out of the loop
    > lately that I don't know if even that is true. And I imagine if it is,
    > then probably all the others are, too. However, I don't know if that's
    > enough to qualify as "awful" in your book?
    >

    > --
    > Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    > / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

    Slowness is one issue. Lack of support is another. Plus, they are pretty
    tough about what you can and cannot do. You are also squeezed onto a server
    with thousands of other customers (rather than, say, 100s), which means
    you're not going to get a big slice of resource if your site is intensive -
    this will just drag and drag. Plus, I don't trust really big hosts -
    honestly, when they get to a certain size they stop caring about their
    customers as you're just numbers to them. Find a smaller host, like
    AffordableHost or EasyCGI - the latter I use and have never had to complain.
    Actually, I host all *my* clients there, so I trust them with my entire
    business - they run Windows 2003 .NET servers as well as Linux ones, in case
    you want to try something really high-tech! AH comes highly recommended from
    what I hear, and they have very competitive prices if you're not after a
    Windows platform.

    M.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 17, 2004