    people can donate using cards.

    Thanks

    Paul

    Paul Turner, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Paul Turner wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    > so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.

    An interesting idea.

    > Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut.

    Agreed

    > some other companies
    > say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.

    I suspect that is to prevent fraud. It would be all too easy for someone
    to make out the money goes to a good cause, but just pockets it
    themselves. So I expect that is the reason.

    > Does anyone have any ideas please?

    Do it through the charity, or would you rather they did not know about
    this?

    --
    Dave K

    Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

    Dave (from the UK), Feb 18, 2006

  3. Paul  Turner

    Paul Turner Guest

    Thanks Dave,

    I think it will come to asking the charity. But they are a small
    Scottish organisation (World Exchange) with not even an online way of
    donating themselves. I'll have a chat to them I think.

    Paul Turner, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Paul Turner wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    > so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
    >
    > Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
    > say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    > people can donate using cards.

    You indicate your girlfriend is working through a Scottish charity. I
    don't know the laws there.

    In the U.S., donors cannot claim a tax benefit for donations to
    individuals, only to organized charities. Even a donation to a charity
    has not tax benefit if the donation is restricted to helping a specific
    individual. The donation may be restricted to a specific program. If
    the Internal Revenue Service determines that the program is targeted to
    a specific individual, however, the tax benefit might still be disallowed.

    In any case, online donation services charge a fee. The most
    cost-effective means of collecting donations is by check. The use of
    online services is only good for promoting donations where the donors
    might be too lazy to write a check and mail it.

    --

    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

    David E. Ross, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Paul  Turner

    Alex Butcher Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:16:32 -0800, Paul Turner wrote:

    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my girlfriend
    > who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large charity, but I
    > would like a way to have the money go directly to her, so she can choose
    > how it is spent in the village she works in.
    >
    > Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies say
    > you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    > people can donate using cards.

    " Your charity can create a FREE profile on two key giving portals
    GiveNow.org (online credit/debit card giving site for any recognised UK
    charity) and AllAboutGiving.org (the online giving site for CAF Charity
    Account or Give As You Earn donors) exposing your cause to millions of
    potential new supporters."
    - <http://www.efundraising.org/> ?

    No recommendation implied, but I use CAF to make tax-free donations to
    charities. I'd guess she might need the charity she's working for to set
    up a special appeal for her project, or something. Worth looking into,
    anyway.

    HTH,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
    Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

    Alex Butcher, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Paul  Turner

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Paul Turner quothed:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    > so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.

    That is a bad idea.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Paul  Turner

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Paul Turner" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    > so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
    >
    > Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
    > say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    > people can donate using cards.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    too much scope for fraud, who in their right mind would contribute to
    something like that?

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

    Tumbleweed, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Paul  Turner

    Paul Turner Guest

    You're right. I think I'll speak to the charity and see if we can sort
    something out.

    thanks for all your help.

    Paul Turner, Feb 19, 2006
  9. Paul  Turner

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Paul Turner wrote:

    > Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    > people can donate using cards.

    I work for a registered charity and have looked into quite a few online
    donations services. Probably the closest thing to what you're looking for,
    though not an exact match, would be bmycharity.com.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Feb 19, 2006
  10. Paul  Turner

    Nebulous Guest

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    > so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
    >
    > Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
    > say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    > people can donate using cards.

    One of the important benefits of doing it through the charity would be that
    they could utilise giftaid and reclaim tax- whilst donations direct to your
    girlfriend would not be able to do that.

    Neb

    Nebulous, Feb 19, 2006
  11. Paul  Turner

    Sid Ismail Guest

    : > I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    : > girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    : > charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her

    Are you serious? Or is it that you think that Africa is OK for such
    loose arrangements? Respect Africa.

    Sid
    African

    Sid Ismail, Feb 19, 2006
  12. Paul  Turner

    Tom Guest

    On 18 Feb 2006 07:16:32 -0800, "Paul Turner" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am trying to setup a way that people can make donations to my
    >girlfriend who is an aid worker in Africa. She is working for a large
    >charity, but I would like a way to have the money go directly to her,
    >so she can choose how it is spent in the village she works in.
    >
    >Paypal is very pricey and they take a big cut. some other companies
    >say you have to a proper registered chairty, which she isn't herself.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas please? We just need a good cheap way that
    >people can donate using cards.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Paul

    Does PayPal give you special treatment as a charity verse personal or
    business?

    I was looking at this, and found if I registered as a nonprofit
    corporation, I got a business account and they automaticly charged
    fees.

    thx,

    tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

    Tom, Feb 19, 2006
  13. Paul  Turner

    Paul Turner Guest

    Paul Turner, Feb 19, 2006
  14. Paul  Turner

    Ian Cornish Guest

    Ian Cornish, Feb 19, 2006
  15. Paul  Turner

    NotMe Guest

    A good source for fee/very low cost software for NP.

    http://www.techsoup.org/index.cfm?cg=header_tss&sg=home

    NotMe, Feb 20, 2006