Check code is running: Access/VBA from ASP

Si

Hi Guys

I am using this code to execute an Access VBA function from ASP:

strDbName = strDataSource & "data\webjobs.mdb"
Set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
objAccess.Visible = False
objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strDbName
objAccess.Run "ASP_SkillSearch", strTable, oUpload.Form("firstname"),
oUpload.Form("surname")

I have a few issues that i need to solve, any help would be greatly
appreciated:

1/ This code takes around 2+mins to run, so I would like the code to run and
for the webpage to be released immediately, so that they do not have to wait
for the code.

2/ I would like to do a similar thing that i do in VB6 (i am new to ASP)
which i would use this code for:
on error resume next
Set objAccess = Server.GetObject("Access.Application")
If err = True then
Set objAccess =
Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
End if
Is it possible to check if a version of access is running, like above?

3/ I would like to check if the function within access that i am attempting
to execute is running already.

Sorry about the list of problems,

As i said before any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Si

Bob Barrows

Si said:
Hi Guys

I am using this code to execute an Access VBA function from ASP:

strDbName = strDataSource & "data\webjobs.mdb"
Set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
objAccess.Visible = False
objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strDbName
objAccess.Run "ASP_SkillSearch", strTable, oUpload.Form("firstname"),
oUpload.Form("surname")

What is oUpload?
I have a few issues that i need to solve, any help would be greatly
appreciated:

1/ This code takes around 2+mins to run, so I would like the code to
run and for the webpage to be released immediately, so that they do
not have to wait for the code.

Access does not support asynchronous execution, so it cannot be done this
way. You should find another way to run this code. For one thing: it is not
a good idea to automate Access (or any Office app) from ASP code. There will
be no one sitting at the server to respond to errors.

Is it possible to convert the VBA code to a vbscript function that can be
run in an ASP page? If so, you can use the XMLHTTPRequest object from
client-side code to asynchronously call the page. For details, please post
to a client-side code newsgroup devoted to whichever language you are using
in your client-side code. Look for newsgroups with "dhtml" in their name.
m.p.scripting.* will also do.

If you need to do this in server-side code, you can use the ServerXMLHTTP
object, like this:

<%
url = "RunSkillSearch.ASP"
set xmlhttp = server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
xmlhttp.open "GET", url, true
xmlhttp.send ""
set xmlhttp = nothing
%>

If you need to pass parameters do this instead:
url = "RunSkillSearch.ASP?firstname=" & _
oUpload.Form("firstname") & "&surname=" & _
oUpload.Form("surname")

2/ I would like to do a similar thing that i do in VB6 (i am new to
ASP) which i would use this code for:
on error resume next
Set objAccess =
Server.GetObject("Access.Application") If err =
True then Set objAccess =
Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
End if
Is it possible to check if a version of access is running, like above?

Yes. On Error Resume Next works in vbscript.

HTH,
Bob Barrows

Si

Hi Bob

oUpload, is a part of ASPUpload, which is what my predecessor used to upload
a Word doc to our webserver.

I dont think i explained qu1 too well: I wish to execute the function in
access and then release the ASP page from access. Then the server can busy
itself running the code, which only modifies data in the background and the
user can continue looking through the website.

I dont fancy turning the code into VBScript as it will take much longer to
run.

Thanks Si

Bob Barrows

Si said:
Hi Bob

oUpload, is a part of ASPUpload, which is what my predecessor used to
upload a Word doc to our webserver.

I dont think i explained qu1 too well: I wish to execute the function
in access and then release the ASP page from access.

I understood. The same answer applies: Access does not support asynchronous
operations. Anything you do with Access requires you to wait for completion.
Then the server
can busy itself running the code, which only modifies data in the
background and the user can continue looking through the website.

I dont fancy turning the code into VBScript as it will take much
longer to run.

Not necessarily. Why would you think that?

The advantage is that you can use the XMLHTTP object to run the code
asynchronously, allowing the user to "continue looking through the website."