    case.

    How would I perform a spell check on free flow text entered by a user
    into a text field?
    FP, Jun 26, 2006

  2. FP

    Jeremy Guest

    You can use AJAX like this guy:
    http://me.eae.net/stuff/litespellchecker/litedemo.html

    Other than that, there is no reliable way to perform this function. You
    are not going to be able to do it well without some kind of server-side
    functionality.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Jun 27, 2006

  3. FP

    FP Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > You can use AJAX like this guy:
    > http://me.eae.net/stuff/litespellchecker/litedemo.html
    >
    > Other than that, there is no reliable way to perform this function. You
    > are not going to be able to do it well without some kind of server-side
    > functionality.
    >
    > Jeremy

    Just tried the site with Safari 1.3.1 it didn't work. I'll try again
    tomorrow.
    I'm developing on Apache with PHP and came across some documentation
    which seemed to imply that the free flow text could be sent to the
    server and an array of misspelled words returned. Is that what you
    meant by server side scripting? If so, thanks, but that's way over my
    head.
    FP, Jun 27, 2006
  4. FP

    Jeremy Guest

    FP wrote:
    > Is that what you
    > meant by server side scripting?

    Yep. That's what I meant. :)

    > If so, thanks, but that's way over my
    > head.

    The best way to remedy that is to get your head right up there with it
    :) If you're already a javascript programmer, learning PHP isn't all
    that much of a stretch. There's actually a couple of server-side
    javascript packages available as well.

    Mind you, I'm not saying that a purely-client-side-javascript
    spellchecker is *impossible*. On the contrary, it wouldn't be that hard
    to implement. However, the javascript program would contain an enormous
    dictionary, and your users would have to wait for it to load before the
    spellchecking would work. That would be pretty annoying.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Jun 27, 2006
  5. FP

    FP Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > The best way to remedy that is to get your head right up there with it
    > :) If you're already a javascript programmer, learning PHP isn't all
    > that much of a stretch. There's actually a couple of server-side
    > javascript packages available as well.

    I'm a FileMaker guy trying to figure out a little HTML, Java, & PHP to
    make a website work the way I want it to. The spell check would have
    been nice but can be left out if it's going to take a couple of days
    for me to try to make sense of it.

    Thanks for the help.
    FP, Jun 28, 2006
  6. JRS: In article <wQ1og.123654$>,
    dated Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:44:28 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, Jeremy <> posted :

    >Mind you, I'm not saying that a purely-client-side-javascript
    >spellchecker is *impossible*. On the contrary, it wouldn't be that hard
    >to implement. However, the javascript program would contain an enormous
    >dictionary, and your users would have to wait for it to load before the
    >spellchecking would work. That would be pretty annoying.

    Basic English needs only about a thousand words; that's not enormous, if
    cached. User's additional words, generally topic-specific, could maybe
    be held in a cookie.

    Encourage simple writing and the eschewing of surplusage.

    Remember that spelling checkers serve two purposes; they can help those
    who use words that they do not know how to spell, and they can help
    those who can spell but do not always hit the intended key. The latter
    class most often make errors in common words.

    Dr John Stockton, Jun 29, 2006