Checkbox items under a RadioButton

Web learner

I have to have three RadioButtons and then under one of this RadioButton, I
need to put two checkboxes. Something like following:

O Temperature
[] Air
[] Water
O Radiaton
O Wind Velocity

The child CheckBoxes (Air and Water in above example) should become
"activated" only when the parent RadioButton (Temperature in above example)
is selected. I am just confused how to get this done.

Any example in this regard will be gratefully appreciated.

web_learner

Swanand Mokashi

you can have the page postback by setting AutoPostBack="true" and
OnSelectedIndexChanged="rdo_SelectedIndexChanged"

in the server side function rdo_SelectedIndexChanged check the current value
of the radiobutton and then set the Enabled property of the checkbox to true
or false

HTH

--
Swanand Mokashi
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (.NET) - Early Achiever

http://www.dotnetgenerics.com/
DotNetGenerics.com -- anything and everything about Microsoft .NET
technology ...

http://www.swanandmokashi.com/
http://www.swanandmokashi.com/HomePage/WebServices/
Home of the Stock Quotes, Quote of the day and Horoscope web services

Web learner

Aha ! I got the idea now. I tried and it works fine.
I run into another design problem. The "entire form" is posted back, which I
do not want.

How can I have only these two controls posted back? Any idea or any URLs for
me to read?

web_learner

Web learner said:
I have to have three RadioButtons and then under one of this RadioButton,
I need to put two checkboxes. Something like following:

O Temperature
[] Air
[] Water
O Radiaton
O Wind Velocity

The child CheckBoxes (Air and Water in above example) should become
"activated" only when the parent RadioButton (Temperature in above
example) is selected. I am just confused how to get this done.

Any example in this regard will be gratefully appreciated.

web_learner

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

HI,

Web learner said:
Aha ! I got the idea now. I tried and it works fine.
I run into another design problem. The "entire form" is posted back, which
I do not want.

Yes, that's the standard way, you could use ATLAS to have Ajax
functionality.
How can I have only these two controls posted back? Any idea or any URLs
for me to read?

You could do some manipulations in the client page using javascript , IMO it
will solve your problem fine. Add a client side handled for the checked of
the radiobutton and inside it disable/enable the checkboxes.

Web learner

How can I have only these two controls posted back? Any idea or any URLs
You could do some manipulations in the client page using javascript , IMO
it will solve your problem fine. Add a client side handled for the
checked of the radiobutton and inside it disable/enable the checkboxes.

Any example, tutorial on the web ?
or even page of a book that I should refer for such tasks?

Thanks,

web_learner

praveen.pvs

Hi,
You can do this easily with Java Script. You need to add attribute eg:
rdBtn1.attributes.add("onclick", "changeStatus()")

Then in that changeStatus function, capture all the check boxes under
that category and enable/disable them.
We can pick all the check boxes by using some common naming convention
or by using table1.getElementById('xx.').all.tags("INPUT") where table1
is the table which contains all the check boxes under that radio
button.

OK..
-praveen