checkbox to enable / disable hidden fields?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by John, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have a search form for music albums which among other things I need to
    search all the song titles of the song. Normally in a search form I would
    have checkboxes the user can use to select whether or not to search a given
    field.

    In this case it is not practical to have 20 checkboxes (each album can have
    up to 20 song titles).

    What I would rather do is have a single checkbox labeled "search song
    titles" and have all the song title fields hidden and either enabled or
    disabled as part of the search depending on the checked state of that check
    box.

    The hidden fields in question look like this:

    <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="1">
    <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_2" value="1">
    etc
    etc
    all the way to
    <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_20" value="1">

    So if I simply put all those in the search form then it will search those
    fields. Great. But how would I give the user the option to toggle them
    off or on in one shot?

    Thanks.

    John, Sep 10, 2005

  2. John

    John Guest

    Sorry, should have been more specific. Yes, what I mean is I want them all
    to not get sent along in the form. So effectively I need them to change
    from:

    <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="1">

    <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="0">

    If a checkbox is unchecked, and back to 1 if it is checked.

    (Danny) wrote in

    John, Sep 10, 2005

  3. John wrote:

    > I have a search form for music albums which among other things I need to
    > search all the song titles of the song. Normally in a search form I would
    > have checkboxes the user can use to select whether or not to search a
    > given field.
    >
    > In this case it is not practical to have 20 checkboxes (each album can
    > have up to 20 song titles).

    I'd do this on the server:

    Pseudo code:

    if (defined $album_to_search) {
    push @songs_to_search, get_list_of_song_ids_from_albumid($album_to_search);
    }

    Much more reliable, and it doesn't require you to shunt all the song names
    to the client each time.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 10, 2005
  4. John

    ASM Guest

    John wrote:
    > Sorry, should have been more specific. Yes, what I mean is I want them all
    > to not get sent along in the form. So effectively I need them to change
    > from:
    >
    > <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="1">

    > <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="0">
    >
    > If a checkbox is unchecked, and back to 1 if it is checked.

    <input type=checkbox onclick="SearchAdd_1.value= this.checked? 1 : 0;">

    or to get true / false as value of SearchAdd_1 :

    <input type=checkbox onclick="SearchAdd_1.value= this.checked;">

    ASM, Sep 10, 2005
  5. ASM wrote:

    >> <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="0">
    >>
    >> If a checkbox is unchecked, and back to 1 if it is checked.

    > <input type=checkbox onclick="SearchAdd_1.value= this.checked? 1 : 0;">

    Most browsers don't automatically create, for each element with a name, a
    variable with that name as a reference to that element.

    onclick="this.form.elements['SearchAdd_1'].value ...

    I still wouldn't use JavaScript to solve this problem though.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 10, 2005
  6. John

    ASM Guest

    John wrote:
    > Sorry, should have been more specific. Yes, what I mean is I want them all
    > to not get sent along in the form. So effectively I need them to change
    > from:
    >
    > <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="1">

    > <input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="0">
    >
    > If a checkbox is unchecked, and back to 1 if it is checked.

    function checkSongs(myForm,val) {
    var f = myForm;
    val = val? 1 : 0 ;
    for(var i=0;i<f.legnth;i++)
    if(f.name.indexOf('SearchAdd')==0) f.value = val;
    }

    Check or uncheck all :
    <input type=checkbox onclick="checkSongs(this.form,this.checked)">

    Uncheck all :
    <input type=button onclick="checkSongs(this.form,false)" value=GO>

    ----------== other way ==--------

    <form name="songsForm".... blah ....>
    all <input type=radio name="presel" onclick="wichSongs()">
    some <input type=radio name="presel" onclick="wichSongs()">
    any <input type=radio name="presel" onclick="wichSongs()">

    function whichSongs() {
    var f = document.songsForm;
    var r = f.presel;
    var j = 0;
    for(var i=0;i<r.length;i++) if(r.checked) j=i;
    var p = f.getElementsByTagName('P');
    for(var i=1;i<p.length;i++) {
    if(p.className=='sg') {
    p.getElementsByTagName('INPUT')[0].checked=false;
    p.getElementsByTagName('INPUT')[0].value=0;
    if(j==2) p.style.display='none';
    else p.style.display='';
    if(j==0) {
    p.getElementsByTagName('INPUT')[0].checked=true;
    p.getElementsByTagName('INPUT')[0].value=1;

    ASM, Sep 10, 2005
  7. John

    ASM Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > ASM wrote:
    >

    >>><input type="hidden" name="SearchAdd_1" value="0">

    [...]

    > I still wouldn't use JavaScript to solve this problem though.

    Yeap, but here we speak about JS
    and I understood question was about JS :)

    anyway JS is only an help an can't be used to do server's job.

    ASM, Sep 10, 2005
  8. ASM wrote:
    > David Dorward wrote:

    <snip>

    > [...]
    >
    >> I still wouldn't use JavaScript to solve this problem though.

    > Yeap, but here we speak about JS
    > and I understood question was about JS :)

    <snip>

    We may speak about JS here, but one of the things we are allowed to say
    is that JS in an inappropriate technology for some tasks. I cannot see
    anyone with a good understanding of server-side scripting (and
    particularly the handling of form input with it, but that is probably
    the first aspect of server-side scripting that anyone would learn) even
    considering this. You just observe the state of the checkbox when the
    request arrives at the server and act accordingly.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Sep 11, 2005