    is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
    of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

    obscurr
    Obscurr, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Obscurr wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
    > of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

    It works exactly the same way, check the specification
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.12>, or use the
    simple examples below:

    To have it always checked:
    <input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" checked readonly>

    To have it never checked:
    <input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" readonly>

    If you're using XHTML:
    <input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" readonly="readonly"
    checked="checked">

    And don't forget that some browsers might not support the readonly
    attribute, or let the browser override it. So always do server-side
    validation (a must anyway, just thought I'd mention it).

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Obscurr

    wizard Guest

    wizard, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Obscurr

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (Obscurr) wrote:

    >is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
    >of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

    readonly does not make text imputs "non-touchable", they still receive
    focus, etc.

    If you want to make something "non-touchable" then use the disabled
    attribute, which affects any input type. And this is normally
    indicated visually in some way.

    But generally it's strange to have visible input elements that the
    user can't actually input anhything into. Maybe if you explained what
    you were trying to do we could suggest an alternative.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Obscurr

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Matthias Gutfeldt <> wrote:

    >Obscurr wrote:
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> is there a way of making checkboxes "non-touchable" like ¨with the use
    >> of the input type=text's READONLY attributte?

    >It works exactly the same way, check the specification
    ><http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.12>,

    From that URL:

    readonly (readonly) #IMPLIED -- for text and passwd --

    ><input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" checked readonly>
    >
    ><input type="checkbox" name="my_readonly_box" readonly>

    Doesn't work in IE6, Netscape 7 or Opera 7. I can change the state of
    the box regardless.

    Steve Pugh, Jun 24, 2003