CheckBoxList problem. Want to add some javascript to each checkbox

ThunderMusic

Hi,
I have a CheckBoxList and I want to add some javascript code to each
CheckBox created by this CheckBoxList. I tried iterating through all items
of the list, all the controls, do a FindControl, et al. with no good result.
I would use the Control.Attribute.Add("OnClick", "some javascript code")

Does someone know a solution?

Thanks

ThunderMusic

Rob Schieber

ThunderMusic said:
Hi,
I have a CheckBoxList and I want to add some javascript code to each
CheckBox created by this CheckBoxList. I tried iterating through all items
of the list, all the controls, do a FindControl, et al. with no good result.
I would use the Control.Attribute.Add("OnClick", "some javascript code")

Does someone know a solution?

Thanks

ThunderMusic

If you want to add javascript in this way you'll need to do it before
the controls are rendered to the page i.e. before page load. Try to
using Control.Attribs.Add in the soonest possible event; usually
onInitEvent or onItemDataBound.

ThunderMusic

Thanks for the help. Indeed, it worked in the OnInit method of the page, but
I changed the way I'm doing it, so now the OnClick event is managed directly
from the form, so everything clickable is readonly (it is a print preview
form) so I only have to manage the OnClick once.

Thanks a lot

ThunderMusic

clintonG

The CheckBoxList is giving me a hard time too if I may jump into this news
article. The checkboxes have colored backgrounds I can't figure out how to
get rid of and I can't apply padding or margins to the text noting this is a
piece of cake when working with HTML but this control seems to be a
composite control and I can't figure out how to access the properties I
need. Any idea how I might clean it up?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

ThunderMusic

my guess would be to add your things in the OnInit event of the page... it
worked for me, maybe it will for you too...

clintonG

Hmmm. I was concerned that I would have to write code to work around a poor
implementation of these "list" controls.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

ThunderMusic said:
my guess would be to add your things in the OnInit event of the page...
it worked for me, maybe it will for you too...

ThunderMusic

hi,
yes, but we're talking about 1line of code

YourChkBoxList.Attributes.Add("Style", "Margin: 5px; background-color:
#FFFFFF")

and that's about it. if it's not exactly it, it is quite similar... As I
said in an earlier post, I don't use it anymore because I found an easier
solution to my problem, but I think it's the way I was doing it. if it's not
working, try going trought all the controls (child controls of your
chkboxlist) and add the attribute, but in the OnInit, I don't think they
will be created, so that's why you can add it directly to the chkboxlist...
and as for style, you could try to add it directly in the aspx code because
it's not likely to change... I didn't try it, but it could work... it was
not suited for my problem though as each chkbox had something
different......

I hope it helps

ThunderMusic

clintonG

Thanks for your comments. Accessing the child controls (Labels) of the
CheckBoxList is going to be a bit tricky I think as the Labels emitted by a
ListItem are already being rendered using a <span>. I am also using the
CheckBoxList as a child of a Wizard in 2.0 Master Pages which adds a bit of
spaghetti to the bowl. I better just get busy...

<%= Clinton Gallagher