Checking for errors accross website with include file ?

David

Hi,

Is there a general way of placing an 'error_check' include file into
my website, and put the include line onto all 'asp' pages. In the
event that any error occurs on any asp page or with the database,
instead of the user seeing the error on screen, they would be
redirected to a custom error page ?

Apprecaite your help

Thanks

David

Anthony Jones

David said:
Hi,

Is there a general way of placing an 'error_check' include file into
my website, and put the include line onto all 'asp' pages. In the
event that any error occurs on any asp page or with the database,
instead of the user seeing the error on screen, they would be
redirected to a custom error page ?

Apprecaite your help

Thanks

David

Create your custom error page and then use the Custom Errors tab on the Web
sites properties dialog to edit the 500;100 handler. I tend to use a URL
for an ASP page however you can also specify simple htm file.

Note you can use Server.GetLastError object in a handler page to embedded
some error details in the output. You could use a display:none DIV to place
these technical details and use a 'Display Technical Details' button on the
page.

David

This is fine if you have access to IIS admin, what can I do if my site
is hosted with a remote company ?

Anthony Jones

David said:
This is fine if you have access to IIS admin, what can I do if my site
is hosted with a remote company ?

Instruct the remote company that you want a specific page to used to handle
500;100 status codes on your site. If they aren't interested in making such
a change for you then find an alternative supplier for the service. It's
your site and you not asking for anything that could compromise the server.