Checking for existance of feature / tools / solutions -- Somethinglike Java webstart

Banibrata Dutta

Hi,

I've tried searching this list & googling around a bit -- trying to
see if there is a Java-Webstart like alternative for Python, the
closest approximate I've found is something suggested in this post:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/282837.html

Is this still pretty much the state-of-art ? Or, is there some other,
better, simpler, snappier alternative.

My requirements fundamentally are to use the web-mechanism
("something" embedded in a webpage, that is able to detect whether
particular (minimal) version of Python is installed on the client
system, and whether my client-software (Python app) is installed or
not, will possibly, first install Python (latest) if not installed,
and then my client-software (Python app). If both are installed, it'd
allow me to upgrade the python app (and/or Python itself prior to it).

This seems to be a something that should be fairly common thing that
folks might have to do!

thanks & regards,
Banibrata