Checking HTML, following links and such

Joti

For a rather long time, I've tried to find something for viewing the HTML of
a page, and then go to different pages or follow different links depending
on the HTML.

Is Perl the right language for doing his, and how do I do it?

Ben Morrow

Joti said:
For a rather long time, I've tried to find something for viewing the HTML of
a page, and then go to different pages or follow different links depending
on the HTML.

Is Perl the right language for doing his, and how do I do it?

Try WWW::Mechanize.

Ben

Joti

Ben Morrow said:
Try WWW::Mechanize.

Ben

--
"The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,

I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the basic
stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a google search but
I still don't seem to understand. Could someone explain?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Joti said:
I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the
basic stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a
google search but I still don't seem to understand. Could someone
explain?

It's a Perl module, available at www.cpan.org.

One of the characteristics of Perl is that a lot of useful tools are
provided in the form of modules, i.e. separate files with code that
you load into your main program and make use of in accordance with the
documentation for respective module. WWW::Mechanize is not part of the
standard Perl distribution, so to use it, you need to download and
install it. Learning how to do that is one of the first things you
should do.

http://learn.perl.org/

HTH

Joti

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
It's a Perl module, available at www.cpan.org.

One of the characteristics of Perl is that a lot of useful tools are
provided in the form of modules, i.e. separate files with code that
you load into your main program and make use of in accordance with the
documentation for respective module. WWW::Mechanize is not part of the
standard Perl distribution, so to use it, you need to download and
install it. Learning how to do that is one of the first things you
should do.

http://learn.perl.org/

HTH

OK, thanks =)

Joti

Joti said:
OK, thanks =)
Now, I've downloaded the module and tried to install it as
http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html says. However there's something
wrong when i write "nmake" after "perl makefile.pl":
~"nmake is not an internal command, external command, program or a
commandfile."
(sorry if my translation Swedish-English isn't perfect)
Neither do dmake nor make work.

Ben Morrow

Joti said:
Now, I've downloaded the module and tried to install it as
http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html says. However there's something
wrong when i write "nmake" after "perl makefile.pl":
~"nmake is not an internal command, external command, program or a
commandfile."

You need to install nmake: read c:/perl/html/perlwin32.html to see where
to download it from.

Alternatively (assuming ActiveState Perl) you may have better luck with
ppm install WWW::Mechanize.

Ben