Checking HTML, following links and such

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Joti, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Joti

    Joti Guest

    For a rather long time, I've tried to find something for viewing the HTML of
    a page, and then go to different pages or follow different links depending
    on the HTML.

    Is Perl the right language for doing his, and how do I do it?
     
    Joti, Feb 21, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Joti

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "Joti" <> wrote:
    > For a rather long time, I've tried to find something for viewing the HTML of
    > a page, and then go to different pages or follow different links depending
    > on the HTML.
    >
    > Is Perl the right language for doing his, and how do I do it?


    Try WWW::Mechanize.

    Ben

    --
    "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
    -Assyrian stone tablet, c.2800 BC
     
    Ben Morrow, Feb 21, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joti

    Joti Guest

    "Ben Morrow" <> skrev i meddelandet
    news:c1893k$mb$...
    >
    > "Joti" <> wrote:
    > > For a rather long time, I've tried to find something for viewing the

    HTML of
    > > a page, and then go to different pages or follow different links

    depending
    > > on the HTML.
    > >
    > > Is Perl the right language for doing his, and how do I do it?

    >
    > Try WWW::Mechanize.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > --
    > "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
    > Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
    > and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
    > -Assyrian stone tablet, c.2800 BC



    I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the basic
    stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a google search but
    I still don't seem to understand. Could someone explain?
     
    Joti, Feb 21, 2004
    #3
  4. Joti wrote:
    > "Ben Morrow" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > news:c1893k$mb$...
    >>
    >> Try WWW::Mechanize.

    >
    > I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the
    > basic stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a
    > google search but I still don't seem to understand. Could someone
    > explain?


    It's a Perl module, available at www.cpan.org.

    One of the characteristics of Perl is that a lot of useful tools are
    provided in the form of modules, i.e. separate files with code that
    you load into your main program and make use of in accordance with the
    documentation for respective module. WWW::Mechanize is not part of the
    standard Perl distribution, so to use it, you need to download and
    install it. Learning how to do that is one of the first things you
    should do.

    http://learn.perl.org/

    HTH

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
     
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Feb 21, 2004
    #4
  5. Joti

    Joti Guest

    "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    news:c18aci$1fsean$-berlin.de...
    > Joti wrote:
    > > "Ben Morrow" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > news:c1893k$mb$...
    > >>
    > >> Try WWW::Mechanize.

    > >
    > > I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the
    > > basic stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a
    > > google search but I still don't seem to understand. Could someone
    > > explain?

    >
    > It's a Perl module, available at www.cpan.org.
    >
    > One of the characteristics of Perl is that a lot of useful tools are
    > provided in the form of modules, i.e. separate files with code that
    > you load into your main program and make use of in accordance with the
    > documentation for respective module. WWW::Mechanize is not part of the
    > standard Perl distribution, so to use it, you need to download and
    > install it. Learning how to do that is one of the first things you
    > should do.
    >
    > http://learn.perl.org/
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    > Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
    >


    OK, thanks =)
     
    Joti, Feb 22, 2004
    #5
  6. Joti

    Joti Guest

    "Joti" <> skrev i meddelandet
    news:c18u82$1g0khc$-berlin.de...
    >
    > "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > news:c18aci$1fsean$-berlin.de...
    > > Joti wrote:
    > > > "Ben Morrow" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > news:c1893k$mb$...
    > > >>
    > > >> Try WWW::Mechanize.
    > > >
    > > > I'm sorry, but i don't really know that much about perl, only the
    > > > basic stuff. Not about what ever WWW::Mechanize is. I've made a
    > > > google search but I still don't seem to understand. Could someone
    > > > explain?

    > >
    > > It's a Perl module, available at www.cpan.org.
    > >
    > > One of the characteristics of Perl is that a lot of useful tools are
    > > provided in the form of modules, i.e. separate files with code that
    > > you load into your main program and make use of in accordance with the
    > > documentation for respective module. WWW::Mechanize is not part of the
    > > standard Perl distribution, so to use it, you need to download and
    > > install it. Learning how to do that is one of the first things you
    > > should do.
    > >
    > > http://learn.perl.org/
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    > > Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
    > >

    >
    > OK, thanks =)
    >
    >

    Now, I've downloaded the module and tried to install it as
    http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html says. However there's something
    wrong when i write "nmake" after "perl makefile.pl":
    ~"nmake is not an internal command, external command, program or a
    commandfile."
    (sorry if my translation Swedish-English isn't perfect)
    Neither do dmake nor make work.
     
    Joti, Feb 22, 2004
    #6
  7. Joti

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "Joti" <> wrote:
    >
    > Now, I've downloaded the module and tried to install it as
    > http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html says. However there's something
    > wrong when i write "nmake" after "perl makefile.pl":
    > ~"nmake is not an internal command, external command, program or a
    > commandfile."


    You need to install nmake: read c:/perl/html/perlwin32.html to see where
    to download it from.

    Alternatively (assuming ActiveState Perl) you may have better luck with
    ppm install WWW::Mechanize.

    Ben

    --
    "If a book is worth reading when you are six, *
    it is worth reading when you are sixty." - C.S.Lewis
     
    Ben Morrow, Feb 22, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Checking links and robots.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 13, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,000
    Sam Hughes
    Aug 14, 2004
  2. jalkadir
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    291
    Default User
    Oct 13, 2005
  3. Dan Cuddeford

    Parsing HTML / following links etc

    Dan Cuddeford, Jan 23, 2008, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    177
    Jörg W Mittag
    Jan 26, 2008
  4. Bert Geenen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    94
    Bert Geenen
    Sep 8, 2003
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    137
    threeflush
    Mar 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page