Checking in code into VSS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Zeba, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Zeba

    Zeba Guest

    Hi ,

    I'm having problems using Visual Source Safe with my Visual Studio
    2005. I have correctly connected to the VSS database with userid and
    set up a project in VSS comprising mySite. I set the working folder
    same as the place I copied the files from.

    I am able to check in / check out / edit / view correctly when I click
    the respective file from VSS. But is there no way that I can just
    start my Visual Studio, do any changes and then just check it in into
    VSS ?

    I opened my VIsual Studio, clicked File->Source Control -> Change
    Source Control. Here I chose my File and gave Bind. After that I tried
    editing, saving and then again File->Source Control -> Check In
    someFile.cs. But I get the error message that

    A project C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mySite that you are attempting to add to
    source control cannot be added because the item Default.aspx is
    already under source control at the selected location.

    How can I solve this ?

    Thanks !!
    Zeba, Mar 30, 2007

  2. We're in the process of moving from VSS to Subversion + TortoiseSVN +
    VisualSVN. One of the reasons that drove us to this was the way that VSS
    dealt with Visual Studio 2005 projects.

    We always found that VSS worked better if you never connected to it
    directly, but rather always used the facilities in Visual Studio. This
    meant creating a solution in VS and then right-clicking on the solution and
    choosing Add Solution to Source Control. The only problem with this is that
    you get very little control over the folder structures that get created in
    the VSS repository. With the new Web Sites template in VS2005, folders seem
    to get created all over the place in VSS.

    So we decided we didn't like it and are going (all being well) for a new
    source control solution (which also happens to be a very cheap one, too -
    $49.00 per developer).

    If you do stick with VSS, I hope the above helps.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Zeba

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Peter Bradley" <> wrote in message

    > With the new Web Sites template in VS2005, folders seem to get created all
    > over the place in VSS.

    That's yet another reason IMO not to go anywhere near the website structure
    in VS.NET 2005... :)
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2007
  4. "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Bradley" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> With the new Web Sites template in VS2005, folders seem to get created
    >> all over the place in VSS.

    > That's yet another reason IMO not to go anywhere near the website
    > structure in VS.NET 2005... :)

    Yes. That's right.

    One side effect of moving to Subversion is that we've found how to get
    VS2005 to create a more sensible structure.

    The first method is to download the patches from MSDN that allow you to use
    VS2003 structures when creating VS2005 Web sites. You have to use the Web
    site or Web service template rather than "Add new Web site"/"Add new Web
    Service", but it does work. The big drawback is that you cannot do that and
    have one dll per page as you can with the Create New Web Site method.

    The second method is to create, first of all, a new blank solution. Then in
    the blank solution you can Add a new web site and tell VS2005 to put the new
    Web Site in the Solution folder. This retains all the New Web Site VS2005
    facilities, but locates it in the solution folder so that you at least have
    the .sln file in the same file structure as the Web site - instead of being
    at some distant point in the file system decided by some obscure default
    value decided by VS2005 (or in a folder with the same name as the site, but
    with "(2)" appended to it!!).

    A bit OT, but HTH

    Peter
    Peter Bradley, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Zeba

    >> That's yet another reason IMO not to go anywhere near the website
    >> structure in VS.NET 2005... :)
    >>

    > Yes. That's right.
    >
    > One side effect of moving to Subversion is that we've found how to get
    > VS2005 to create a more sensible structure.
    >
    > The first method is to download the patches from MSDN that allow you to
    > use VS2003 structures when creating VS2005 Web sites.

    Web Application Projects was released as an add-on to VS.NET 2005 very soon
    after its initial release due to the massive outcry from the development
    community about the website model - WAP has now been incorporated into
    VS.NET 2005 SP1.

    > The big drawback is that you cannot do that and have one dll per page as
    > you can with the Create New Web Site method.

    That's a drawback...? I'm curious as to why anyone would want one dll per
    page...

    > The first method <snip>
    > The second method <snip>

    I have to say I've never had to go through any of that, and all my web apps
    use VSS as their source control mechanism...

    Presumably we are talking about Visual SourceSafe 2005, aren't we, and not
    6.0d or (shudders!) earlier...?
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Heh! See below:

    "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Bradley" <> wrote in message

    <snip />
    >> The big drawback is that you cannot do that and have one dll per page as
    >> you can with the Create New Web Site method.

    > That's a drawback...? I'm curious as to why anyone would want one dll per
    > page...

    Haven't done it myself - because I tend not to do the UI/Presentation layer
    coding: but my colleague who does that sort of arty-farty stuff says he
    likes the ability to have one dll per page because he can modify a page and
    just drop it in without having to restart the application. That's what he
    said, anyway...

    >> The first method <snip>
    >> The second method <snip>

    > I have to say I've never had to go through any of that, and all my web
    > apps use VSS as their source control mechanism...
    >
    > Presumably we are talking about Visual SourceSafe 2005, aren't we, and not
    > 6.0d or (shudders!) earlier...?

    Yup. VSS 6.0d. We used to have VS2003 Enterprise Edition + VSS 6.0d, but
    when VS2005 came out we were told that MS's new prices (UK CHEST prices) for
    the Enterprise Edition were too expensive and we'd have to make do with the
    Professional Edition of VS2005 and the VSS version we were currently using.

    We've just had it up to here with VSS, and since we can't have the new
    version, we're moving (all being well - i.e. assuming we can convince the
    local PHBs, which I think we will)

    I know. You feel our pain.

    :)

    Peter
    Peter Bradley, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Zeba

    > Haven't done it myself - because I tend not to do the UI/Presentation
    > layer coding: but my colleague who does that sort of arty-farty stuff says
    > he likes the ability to have one dll per page because he can modify a page
    > and just drop it in without having to restart the application. That's
    > what he said, anyway...

    We've had a similar thread about this recently... Personally, I'd fire the
    guy, but opinions differ...

    > Yup. VSS 6.0d.

    Ah... that explains it, then...

    > I know. You feel our pain.

    I do... It's sometimes easy to forget that not everyone has an MSDN
    subscription... ;-)
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2007
  8. "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    <snip />
    >It's sometimes easy to forget that not everyone has an MSDN subscription...
    >;-)

    Cruel. So very cruel;

    :^(

    Peter
    Peter Bradley, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Zeba

    > "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message
    > <snip />
    >>It's sometimes easy to forget that not everyone has an MSDN
    >>subscription... ;-)
    >>

    > Cruel. So very cruel;

    Harsh, but fair... :)
    Mark Rae, Mar 30, 2007
  10. Zeba

    Guest

    On Mar 30, 12:58 pm, "Zeba" <> wrote:
    > Hi ,
    >
    > I'm having problems using Visual Source Safe with my Visual Studio
    > 2005. I have correctly connected to the VSS database with userid and
    > set up a project in VSS comprising mySite. I set the working folder
    > same as the place I copied the files from.
    >
    > I am able to check in / check out / edit / view correctly when I click
    > the respective file from VSS. But is there no way that I can just
    > start my Visual Studio, do any changes and then just check it in into
    > VSS ?
    >
    > I opened my VIsual Studio, clicked File->Source Control -> Change
    > Source Control. Here I chose my File and gave Bind. After that I tried
    > editing, saving and then again File->Source Control -> Check In
    > someFile.cs. But I get the error message that
    >
    > A project C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mySite that you are attempting to add to
    > source control cannot be added because the item Default.aspx is
    > already under source control at the selected location.
    >
    > How can I solve this ?
    >
    > Thanks !!

    install/Configure Visual Source Safe (VSS) on Client and Sever
    [modified] Ahuja.bangalore 5:53 29 Mar '07

    Hi
    I am working on ASP.NET 1.1 with C# Domain..
    I want to use my project using Visual Source Safe (VSS)...
    i have Visual Studio (4 Cd's Pack)..I have 5 PC's , Which i want to
    connect in such a manner like.. i will keep my project on server and
    configure through VSS, so that other programmers can able to use it...

    so plzzz can you tell me how to install it on server and client
    pc...??

    Thanks & Regards

    Ahuja
    , Apr 2, 2007