checkpoint/restart python processes

Discussion in 'Python' started by Neal Becker, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. Neal Becker

    Neal Becker Guest

    Hi numeric processing fans. I'm pleased to report that you can now have
    convenient checkpoint/restart, at least if you are running fedora linux.

    Example:
    python -i blcr_mod.py <<< this will start python, then checkpoint it
    c_int(2) (ignore this debug)

    [quit]

    cr_restart checkpoint.nbecker1.23768 <<< this will restart

    Berkeley Lab Checkpoint/Restart for Linux (BLCR)
    http://ftg.lbl.gov/CheckpointRestart/CheckpointDownloads.shtml

    What I've done is:
    1) built 2 rpm packages for blcr. First installs everything except kernel
    module. 2nd is the kernel module, packaged for use with akmods, which will
    be (I think) the kmod format of choice in rpmfusion.

    2) made a python ctypes module to use it. This allows your python program
    to checkpoint itself. This is blcr_mod.py. (This is my first ctypes
    experience, be gentle)

    You will need a couple of packages from livna development to use this:
    rpm -q --whatprovides kmodtool
    kmodtool-1-7.fc8.noarch
    rpm -q --whatprovides akmods
    akmods-0.2.1-1.fc8.noarch

    You can find this stuff here:
    http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/development/SRPMS/

    I grabbed the development srpms from livna and built them for my F8 machine.

    My stuff is here:
    https://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM/blcr_mod.py
    https://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM/blcr-0.6.4-1.src.rpm
    https://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM/blcr-kmod-0.6.4-2.fc8.src.rpm

    Note: My RPM packages are provided as a convenience for fedora users. You
    can just get the original blcr tar files from the above mentioned url and
    build if you prefer, or if you are using a different linux distribution
    than I am.
    Neal Becker, Feb 1, 2008