    thejim Guest

    Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
    role in fault tolerant computing?

    thejim, Jan 15, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    thejim <> wrote:

    >Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
    >role in fault tolerant computing?

    That is not a C question; I would suggest that you would get
    a better answer in a newsgroup such as comp.programming .

    As an approximation:

    To checkpoint a computation is to save enough of its state so that
    if you had to, you could take the saved information and pick up
    where you left off.

    If there is a hardware problem during a computation, or if you run out
    of memory and are able to restore into less memory, then if you
    checkpoint your computation regularily, you can tolerate (smoothly
    deal with) the problem; if you do not take these kind of precautions,
    then you would have to start back at the beginning again, which
    might be completely unacceptable (e.g., you wouldn't want to
    issue the same paycheque twice...)

    Walter Roberson, Jan 15, 2006

  3. thejim

    Default User Guest

    thejim wrote:

    > Does anybody know what are Checkpointing Routines and what is their
    > role in fault tolerant computing?

    Sounds just like the homework questions I'd get in an Operating Systems
    class. The goal is for YOU to figure it out.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

    Default User, Jan 15, 2006