CherryPy/Turbogears on server not controlled by me

Brian Blais

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to run CherryPy/Turbogears on a server that I don't
have root access to. If I just choose a random port, I think the security guys on
the server would get annoyed at me. What are my options? I can talk to the admin,
but they are very slow/reluctant to make changes...it took me a couple months to get
them to upgrade to 2.4 from 2.3 last year, even when 2.5 was out.

thanks,

Brian Blais

Diez B. Roggisch

Brian said:
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to run CherryPy/Turbogears on a server
that I don't
have root access to. If I just choose a random port, I think the security
guys on
the server would get annoyed at me.

Why should they? Opening anything networking will open a port. And if you
have shell access, you can point PYTHONPATH to a directory of your choice
and let easy_install install the packages required there.

I don't see a problem. And _if_ they get mad at you, well - there isn't
anything you can do about that I presume apart from telling them to shut
up - because without a port, there is no webapp...

Diez

Eddie Corns

Diez B. Roggisch said:
Brian Blais wrote:
Why should they? Opening anything networking will open a port. And if you
have shell access, you can point PYTHONPATH to a directory of your choice
and let easy_install install the packages required there.
I don't see a problem. And _if_ they get mad at you, well - there isn't
anything you can do about that I presume apart from telling them to shut
up - because without a port, there is no webapp...

And since your application is not running as root the worst that can happen if
you introduce a security hazard in your app is that only your files are
endangered. I run several TG apps in user space and the only small problem
I've had is the logistics of telling people if you have to move it somewhere
else since a DNS alias doesn't help much with explicit port numbers in the URL.

Eddie