    I've tried writting the Chinese characters as themselves and their unicode
    character reference, e.g. 〹 but none of them show correctly in IE6.

    Anyone

    Fister, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Scripsit Fister:

    > How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6?

    This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a URL.

    > They're all displayed as a square symbol. The page looks fine in IE7
    > and Firefox.

    The symptoms suggest that the problem might be in the browser, or in the
    system, which might lack a font containing Chinese characters.

    > This is the header:

    So what? If there's an HTTP header specifying the charset, then your
    meta tag for it is ignored. So what's the URL?

    > I've tried writting the Chinese characters as themselves and their
    > unicode character reference, e.g. 〹 but none of them show
    > correctly in
    > IE6.

    Is 〹 a Chinese character?

    Anyway, character references should work independently of encoding, and
    IE 6 has no problem with this. But there might be a font problem. Can
    you type Chinese characters anywhere, e.g. in the CharMap program?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Fister

    Fister Guest

    Hello Jukka,

    >> How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6?

    > This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a
    > URL.

    On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not in IE6:

    http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html

    Do I need to install something to get looking correctly in IE6

    Fister, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Fister

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:02:14
    GMT Fister scribed:

    >>> How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6?

    >> This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a
    >> URL.

    > On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not
    > in IE6:
    >
    > http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html
    >
    > Do I need to install something to get looking correctly in IE6?

    I don't see any Chinese in anything (except the gif.) In your text, I get
    question marks with Firefox and boxes with IE 7.

    The page doesn't validate, which may be part of the problem. The converter
    seems to depend on javascript which, since that's the whole purpose of the
    page, is a problem, too.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Fister

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:02:14
    > GMT Fister scribed:

    >>> This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a
    >>> URL.

    >> On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not
    >> in IE6:
    >>
    >> http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html
    >>
    >> Do I need to install something to get looking correctly in IE6?

    > I don't see any Chinese in anything (except the gif.) In your text, I get
    > question marks with Firefox and boxes with IE 7.

    Thats for you don't have support for Chinese characters on your system or you
    display it with the wrong character setup (iso instead of utf).

    > The page doesn't validate, which may be part of the problem. The converter
    > seems to depend on javascript which, since that's the whole purpose of the
    > page, is a problem, too.

    Those validation faults are minor in this case

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

    The page render well when it comes to the Chinese characters under Linux:
    SeaMonkey 1.1.7
    Opera 9.20

    Trouble with none Chinese characters (&#769, &#780) under Linux:
    Konqueror 3.5.7
    MSIE 6.0.2800.1106

    In Konqueror I get two boxes above Taibei and in MSIE I only get "'<i" instead
    of Taibei.

    All the browsers has the same access to all fonts, but may have different
    default fonts. I would guess that MSIE6 has some trouble with UTF-8 and/or NCRs.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jan 13, 2008
  6. Fister wrote:
    > Hello Jukka,
    >
    >>> How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6?

    >> This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a
    >> URL.

    > On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not in
    > IE6:
    >
    > http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html
    >
    > Do I need to install something to get looking correctly in IE6?

    Looks fine for me with IE7, 6.01, 5.5, 5.01, 4.01 fails on IE3 ;-) I
    think it is a system setup problem, not browser specific.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 13, 2008
  7. Scripsit Fister:

    > On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not
    > in IE6:
    > http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html

    People's reports on this seem differ in a puzzling way.

    The page uses a somewhat complicated method to refer to style sheets.
    Maybe some references don't work on all browsers. Have you tested with
    CSS turned off? (Either using a scriptlet or simply testing with a copy
    of the page with all CSS stuff removed.)

    Perhaps IE 6 tries to use (due to CSS) a font that does not contain the
    Chinese characters needed, even though IE 6 thinks it does.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 13, 2008
  8. Fister

    Bergamot Guest

    Fister wrote:

    > http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html

    "Sorry, this converter won't work in your browser. Please try using a
    more modern, standards-compliant browser such as Opera (my favorite),
    Mozilla, or Mozilla Firebird."

    Firebird? That's been dead and buried for years. Maybe you should do a
    little modernizing yourself. ;)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 13, 2008