Chinese characters in IE6 now showing correctly

Fister

Hello

How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6? They're all displayed
as a square symbol. The page looks fine in IE7 and Firefox. This is the header:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<head>
<title>Chinese test</title>
</head>

I've tried writting the Chinese characters as themselves and their unicode
character reference, e.g. 〹 but none of them show correctly in IE6.

Anyone

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Fister:
How do I get Chinese characters to show correctly in IE6?

This is a long story, but you could make it shorter by providing a URL.
They're all displayed as a square symbol. The page looks fine in IE7
and Firefox.

The symptoms suggest that the problem might be in the browser, or in the
system, which might lack a font containing Chinese characters.
This is the header:

So what? If there's an HTTP header specifying the charset, then your
meta tag for it is ignored. So what's the URL?
I've tried writting the Chinese characters as themselves and their
unicode character reference, e.g. 〹 but none of them show
correctly in
IE6.

Is 〹 a Chinese character?

Anyway, character references should work independently of encoding, and
IE 6 has no problem with this. But there might be a font problem. Can
you type Chinese characters anywhere, e.g. in the CharMap program?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:02:14
GMT Fister scribed:
On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not
in IE6:

http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html

Do I need to install something to get looking correctly in IE6?

I don't see any Chinese in anything (except the gif.) In your text, I get
question marks with Firefox and boxes with IE 7.

The page doesn't validate, which may be part of the problem. The converter
seems to depend on javascript which, since that's the whole purpose of the
page, is a problem, too.

J.O. Aho

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:02:14
GMT Fister scribed:

I don't see any Chinese in anything (except the gif.) In your text, I get
question marks with Firefox and boxes with IE 7.

Thats for you don't have support for Chinese characters on your system or you
display it with the wrong character setup (iso instead of utf).

The page doesn't validate, which may be part of the problem. The converter
seems to depend on javascript which, since that's the whole purpose of the
page, is a problem, too.

Those validation faults are minor in this case

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

The page render well when it comes to the Chinese characters under Linux:
SeaMonkey 1.1.7
Opera 9.20

Trouble with none Chinese characters (&#769, &#780) under Linux:
Konqueror 3.5.7
MSIE 6.0.2800.1106

In Konqueror I get two boxes above Taibei and in MSIE I only get "'<i" instead
of Taibei.

All the browsers has the same access to all fonts, but may have different
default fonts. I would guess that MSIE6 has some trouble with UTF-8 and/or NCRs.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Fister:
On the page below the characters look fine in IE7 and Firefox but not
in IE6:
http://www.pinyin.info/tools/converter/chars2uninumbers.html

People's reports on this seem differ in a puzzling way.

The page uses a somewhat complicated method to refer to style sheets.
Maybe some references don't work on all browsers. Have you tested with
CSS turned off? (Either using a scriptlet or simply testing with a copy
of the page with all CSS stuff removed.)

Perhaps IE 6 tries to use (due to CSS) a font that does not contain the
Chinese characters needed, even though IE 6 thinks it does.