chmod or setuid? Need to give script permission to write files

Michael Lubavin

Hi,
I am having a perl cgi script that needs to be able to create and
write a new file. Is there a way I can use chmod within the script to
give temporary world access to my directory, and then give it 755
access again right after? Would it be simpler to use some form of
switch user id? If you can, please put some specific perl code, since
I tried doing:

chmod oct "0777", "./images/thumbs";
$thumb->Write("$image_path/thumbs/$image_name");
chmod oct "0755", "./images/thumbs";

and this doesnt work. If there is a simple way of switching IDs,
could you please post the syntax, with say root id? Thank you very
much,
Mike Lubavin

PS I think this thread belongs in this forum, since I am asking perl
specific questions, dont redirect me to other forums instead of
answering please. Thanks!

Steve Grazzini

Michael Lubavin said:
PS I think this thread belongs in this forum, since I am asking
perl specific questions, dont redirect me to other forums instead
of answering please. Thanks!

It doesn't matter whether you think it's the right forum;
the only possible answer is "configure your webserver".

(I get the feeling that deep-down you knew that already.)