    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Robert Weisbloom

    R. Weisbloom, Dec 20, 2003

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/index-en.htm

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Dec 20, 2003

  3. R. Weisbloom

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:363Fb.26394$>
    R. Weisbloom said:

    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
    > charset=3Dwindows-1255">
    > <STYLE></STYLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    > <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have to write some websites that give =
    > the reader=20
    > their choice of languages.</FONT></DIV>

    please post in plain text only and:

    Crosspost, don't multipost

    brucie
    21/December/2003 10:02:25 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 21, 2003
  4. R. Weisbloom

    Sjeef Guest

    "R. Weisbloom" <> schreef in bericht
    I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
    languages.
    English and French. What is the best ways to go about it.
    I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice of
    languages, when the user decides which language they want direct them to
    that web page.
    This means writing 2 websites.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Robert Weisbloom

    Look here for an example:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sjeef

    In Dutch, English, German and Spanish.

    --
    Gerard Schaefers
    Amsterdam-NL

    Sjeef, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Sjeef wrote:
    > I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice of
    > languages, when the user decides which language they want direct them to
    > that web page.
    > This means writing 2 websites.
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    > Thanks,
    > Robert Weisbloom
    >

    > Look here for an example:
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sjeef
    > In Dutch, English, German and Spanish.

    Ay, and they're all separate versions of the site. 4 websites.

    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 21, 2003
  6. "R. Weisbloom" <> wrote:

    > I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
    > languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
    > it.

    Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
    French, and vice versa. Use the page's title (in the "other" language)
    as the link text.

    There are things you could add on top of this, but this is the start,
    and the basis for anything else.

    > I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice
    > of languages,

    Don't.

    > when the user decides which language they want direct
    > them to that web page.

    There's no reason to have a separate page for language selection when
    you only have two languages. If the user gets the English version, it's
    the one most of us want (sorry, francophones, but that's the way things
    are at present), and those who prefer the French version can access it
    with one click, just as with the separate language choice model, except
    that now they have some idea of the page's content. (Most francophones
    understand some English.)

    > This means writing 2 websites.

    It means writing two versions of a site. That's what you are doing,
    right? Surely the trouble of linking the pages together is very small
    as compared with the skill and labor needed for creating the two
    language versions.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 21, 2003
  7. R. Weisbloom

    DU Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > "R. Weisbloom" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
    >>languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
    >>it.

    > Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
    > French, and vice versa.

    I certainly agree with you on this. The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
    <link rel="alternate" ...> E.g. from an english document:
    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="path/filename.html"
    hreflang="pt" lang="pt" title="The title written in Portuguese language">

    The good side of this is that Site Navigation bar can render such <link>
    and indicate translated versions of pages. Some browsers do support
    this: Mozilla for one.

    W3C Quality Assurance tip: Use <link>s in your document
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links

    12.3.3 Links and search engines
    "Authors may use the LINK element to provide a variety of information to
    search engines, including:
    * Links to alternate versions of a document, written in another
    human language."
    has several examples
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3.3

    Use the page's title (in the "other" language)
    > as the link text.
    >
    > There are things you could add on top of this, but this is the start,
    > and the basis for anything else.

    [snipped]

    DU

    DU, Dec 21, 2003
  8. R. Weisbloom

    picayunish Guest

    DU wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> "R. Weisbloom" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
    >>> languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
    >>> it.

    >> Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
    >> French, and vice versa.

    > I certainly agree with you on this. The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
    > <link rel="alternate" ...> E.g. from an english document:
    > <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="path/filename.html"
    > hreflang="pt" lang="pt" title="The title written in Portuguese language">
    >
    > The good side of this is that Site Navigation bar can render such <link>
    > and indicate translated versions of pages. Some browsers do support
    > this: Mozilla for one.
    >
    > W3C Quality Assurance tip: Use <link>s in your document
    > http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links
    >
    > 12.3.3 Links and search engines
    > "Authors may use the LINK element to provide a variety of information to
    > search engines, including:
    > * Links to alternate versions of a document, written in another
    > human language."
    > has several examples
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3.3

    That's interesting.
    Thanx for the links.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    picayunish, Dec 21, 2003
  9. DU <> wrote:

    > The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
    > <link rel="alternate" ...>

    I have mixed feelings about this. Since the large majority of people
    are using browsers that don't support that idea, I think you should
    have explicit <a href> links as well - unless you are authoring for a
    narrow environment where all people use modern enough browsers.
    And when you have <a href> links, the <link> links are duplication,
    potentially even confusing.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > I have mixed feelings about this. I think you should have explicit <a
    > href> links as well

    Oh of course! Whenever <link> elements are used for navigation there ought
    to be redundant text links for those browsers that don't understand them.

    It is an interesting thought that there are often debates on whether
    Internet Explorer "supports" XHTML 1.1. I mean, certainly with particular
    MIME types, Internet Explorer can be made to display certain XHTML 1.1
    pages correctly, but is this support? Anyway, in all that debate, we
    forget that Internet Explorer doen't even support HTML 2.0 yet.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 21, 2003