Choose Oracle Version

Colin Steadman

I've just had a problem with an ASP page not connecting to
one of our Oracle databases. It turns out that the web
server has Oracle 8.1 and Oracle 9.2 installed and that my
ASP page was trying to connect with Oracle 8.2. The
TNSNAMES.ORA file for this version of Oracle is not
maintained and did not have the correct entry I need.

Is it possible to force my ASP pages to use Oracle 9.2
until the migration is complete and Oracle 8.1 is removed?

My connection string looks like this:

Session("PROVIDER") = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data
Source=ht;User Id=" + Request.form("username")
+ ";Password=" + Request.form("password")

TIA,

Colin

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

The TNSNames.ora has to be maintained for this server, as there is no way to
tell ASP to use only the 9.2 server on a particular box with multiple
instances, at least none that I know of. The MS world realizes it is looking
at Oracle, but really does not care whether the instance is 8.1 or 9.2.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Colin Steadman

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) said:
The TNSNames.ora has to be maintained for this server, as there is no way to
tell ASP to use only the 9.2 server on a particular box with multiple
instances, at least none that I know of. The MS world realizes it is looking
at Oracle, but really does not care whether the instance is 8.1 or 9.2.

OK Gregory, thank you.

Colin