Choosing a parent class for and binding data to custom grid controls and

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by David Alexander, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. I have embedded datagrid to code. For each row in the parent grid, a child
    grid will be inserted in the row just below it. So if the parent grid was
    orders, under each row in the parent grid, a child grid with items in the
    order would be inserted. A combination of a 2-level tree view and a
    datagrid. I need to display the data all at once, not link to subtables
    using the provided functionality

    I have the HTML that I want served up and I can reverse-engineer the control
    to serve up the right HTML.

    I have seen an example embedded datagrid that inserts tables into table
    rows, but I don't like the results. "Compound tables" make formatting
    difficult and awkward. I want a single table formatted with CSS, rowspan,
    colspan, and a few other attributes.

    Should I derive my control from System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl or
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList?

    Secondly, assuming I have chosen the correct base class, how I should bind
    data to the control? Since I am binding two different tables (connected by a
    data relation) to one control, can I override the databind method of the
    parent class? I figure, worst case, I can just iterate through the rows in
    the parent and child tables and just insert each DataSet value in a <td>
    tags, but I suspect that might be something easier and more efficient for
    poor IIS.
    David Alexander, Jun 18, 2004