    How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
    installed and then choose ḳ or k
    accordingly?

    Norman Swartz, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Norman Swartz

    Ivo Guest

    "Norman Swartz" wrote
    > If Microsoft Sans Serif is installed, I want to use
    > symbol ḳ but if that font is not installed then
    > I want to use sans-serif k
    >
    > How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
    > installed and then choose ḳ or k
    > accordingly?

    Crossbrowser you don't, but in IE5.5+ (for Windows only, I guess) you can
    find out the installed fonts on a machine with the Dialog Helper object. See
    asp >
    If it 's only for the purpose described above, this might be a bit unwieldy.
    I suggest sticking to k for everyone.
    --
    Ivo

    Ivo, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Yes, ḳ is the letter "k" with a dot underneath;
    k is the letter "k", unadorned.

    -- Norman

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in

    Norman Swartz, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Norman Swartz wrote:

    > How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
    > installed and then choose ḳ or k
    > accordingly?

    You cannot and you should not. Use only the Unicode character references,
    the UA will pick an appropriate font if such is available.

    PointedEars
    --
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
    asleep yet.

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 17, 2004