Choosing different symbols according to fonts installed

Norman Swartz

If Microsoft Sans Serif is installed, I want to use
symbol ḳ but if that font is not installed then
I want to use sans-serif k

How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
installed and then choose ḳ or k
accordingly?

Ivo

If Microsoft Sans Serif is installed, I want to use
symbol ḳ but if that font is not installed then
I want to use sans-serif k

How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
installed and then choose ḳ or k
accordingly?

Crossbrowser you don't, but in IE5.5+ (for Windows only, I guess) you can
find out the installed fonts on a machine with the Dialog Helper object. See
asp >
If it 's only for the purpose described above, this might be a bit unwieldy.
I suggest sticking to k for everyone.

Norman Swartz

Yes, ḳ is the letter "k" with a dot underneath;
k is the letter "k", unadorned.

-- Norman

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Norman said:
How do I test whether Microsoft Sans Serif is
installed and then choose ḳ or k
accordingly?

You cannot and you should not. Use only the Unicode character references,
the UA will pick an appropriate font if such is available.

PointedEars