Choosing elements to display in a JSP using Struts

Discussion in 'Java' started by rjweytens, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. rjweytens

    rjweytens Guest

    Hello,

    I am very new to everything web development, so please bear with me.

    My development environment is:

    Win2k
    Tomcat 4.0.30
    Apache 2.0.48
    mod_jk/2.0.4
    j2sdk 1.4.2
    Struts 1.1
    mysql 4.0.18

    I am using Struts to develop my webapp in an MVC fashion. I am using
    forms based authentication to a mysql database.

    Using the tools in my development environment, I am wondering if it is
    possible to choose the elements displayed in a JSP based on the group
    the user is in (and still stay withing the MVC framework), or if that
    is even the right approach. I prefer to not show options to users if
    they do not have permissions to perform them.

    Any suggestions or advice would be great. If you know of any
    tutorials/books/web resources that you could point me to, that would
    be fantastic as well.

    Thanks in advance.

    Randy
    rjweytens, Jun 8, 2004