    good resource that deal with this kind of traffic.

    I will appreciate a good reference.

    Thanks.

    shesh, Jul 18, 2005

  2. shesh

    Mona Guest

    Hi Shesh,

    Visual Studio .NET allows you to create applications that leverage the power
    of the World Wide Web.
    This includes everything from a traditional Web site that serves HTML pages,
    to fully featured business
    applications that run on an intranet or the Internet, to sophisticated
    business-to-business applications
    providing Web-based components that can exchange data using XML.

    ASP.NET is a platform - including design-time objects and controls and a
    run-time execution context -
    for developing and running applications on a Web server.

    ASP.NET in turn is part of the .NET Framework, so that it provides access to
    all of the features of that framework.

    You can refer to following link for complete details:

    [Introduction to ASP.NET Web Applications in Visual Studio]

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...troductiontowebapplicationsinvisualstudio.asp

    [Creating ASP.NET Web Applications]

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...uide/html/cpconCreatingASPWebApplications.asp

    HTH

    Mona[Grapecity]

    Mona, Jul 18, 2005

  3. shesh

    jasonkester Guest

    This usuallly comes down to how much you have to spend, and what your
    expectations are for the end product.

    If you have no budget, you'll end up going with PHP/mySQL regardless of
    what we tell you, because you can get a high school kid to build your
    whole site for $500. It will basically work but won't scale or run
    fast (likely because you'll be using shared $5/mo hosting), and you'll
    have to rewrite it from scratch if you ever get funded for real.

    If your main concern is scalability, maintanability and data integrity,
    you'll want to go with ASP.NET or a Java solution. Personally, I feel
    I can develop a lot faster in .NET. But then, I'm posting in a .NET
    group and therefore should not be trusted in these matters.

    Above a certain amount of complexity, scripted platforms like PHP and
    Cold Fusion become prohibitively difficult to maintain. Conversely,
    n-tiered Enterprise solutions are a bit overkill for little
    brochureware sites. I find that the break even point is about $10k,
    above which your total cost of development is about the same with
    ..NET/Java as it would be with PHP, and your development pace, stability
    and scalability are all much better.

    In short, do your research (preferably someplace less biased than this
    group) and talk with managers that have made these decisions before.

    Good luck!

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/