Chris Pine tutorial assistance chapter 7 sort data without use of.sort method

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jgheal@googlemail.com, Nov 24, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'm learning to program and came across Chris Pine's Ruby Tutorial.

    I've got to the Array and Iterators chapter ( http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/?Chapter=07
    ).

    and the following assignment " Let's write a program which asks us to
    type in as many words as we want (one word per line, continuing until
    we just press Enter on an empty line), and which then repeats the
    words back to us in alphabetical order. OK? "

    ****** HOWEVER I'm not allowed to use the .sort method ********

    The covered chapters (1 ~ 7) have not covered method creation,
    Classes, Blocks or Procs, so the challenge is to solve the assignment
    without using them ( which is dandy since I don't know what they are
    and I want to solve this assignment before I move forward to discover
    what they are).

    This is what I've come up with so far, however when run.... It's not
    working - surprise surprise.

    Could someone initially give me an idea of what is going wrong rather
    than rectify my code.

    puts 'Type in as many words as you want and once you\'ve had enough,
    just \'enter\' a clear line.'

    words_array = []

    loop do
    input = gets.downcase.chomp
    break if input.empty?
    words_array << input

    end

    wordCheck = words_array.last
    rotateCounter = 0
    sortedWords_array = []
    until words_array.length == 0
    while rotateCounter <= words_array.length
    if words_array[0] >= wordCheck

    words_array.push words_array.shift
    rotateCounter = rotateCounter + 1

    else wordCheck = words_array[0]