    CrazyBoB Guest

    Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was
    from an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...

    CrazyBoB, Jul 26, 2011

  2. CrazyBoB

    Seebs Guest

    On 2011-07-26, CrazyBoB <> wrote:
    > Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was
    > from an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...

    1985? Wow. That's a ways back. I don't think I encountered him on
    Usenet until '88 or so. (Trivia point: He's now one of my coworkers;
    we do compiler/toolchain stuff mostly.)

    -s

    Seebs, Jul 26, 2011

  3. CrazyBoB

    Uno Guest

    On 07/26/2011 12:57 AM, CrazyBoB wrote:
    > Wow! I just found a post from Chris Torek from 1985! I think it was from
    > an old FIDO posting...neat-o anyway...

    Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    Salt Laka City is a small world, and one snowy day I'm gonna bump into
    him as we're both grabbing a coffee to go. I'll recognize him by the
    coffee stains on his book _File Systems for Starfleet_.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Jul 28, 2011
  4. CrazyBoB

    Todd Carnes Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

    > Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    > I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    Todd :)

    Todd Carnes, Jul 28, 2011
  5. Todd Carnes <> wrote:
    > On Weld, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

    > > Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    > > I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    Yes, that's him. He used to post here until two or three
    years ago and each and every posting was very useful and
    helpful - I think all regulars agreed on that (something
    not happening too often;-) And his "tutorial" at

    http://67.40.109.61/torek/c/index.html

    is still very worth reading and understanding. It's a pity
    and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Jul 28, 2011
  6. Todd Carnes wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    >> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

    J. J. Farrell, Jul 28, 2011
  7. CrazyBoB

    Seebs Guest

    On 2011-07-28, Todd Carnes <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
    >> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    >> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    That would be him, yeah. He used to post here more, back when he was
    at BSDi, or Berkeley before that. I worked at BSDi for a while, and nowadays
    we're both in Wind River's Linux group, doing various toolchain and build
    system stuff.

    Basically, if you use WR Linux, and you think the compiler is wrong, I'm
    the guy whose job is to make you not feel bad about finding out your code
    was at fault. :p (Actually, the compiler is sometimes wrong.)

    -s

    Seebs, Jul 29, 2011
  8. CrazyBoB

    Todd Carnes Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:48:09 +0100, J. J. Farrell wrote:

    > Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

    LOL!

    Todd Carnes, Jul 29, 2011
  9. CrazyBoB

    tm Guest

    On 28 Jul., 21:04, (Jens Thoms Toerring) wrote:
    > Todd Carnes <> wrote:
    > > On Weld, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
    > > > Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    > > > I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    > > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    > > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    > Yes, that's him. He used to post here until two or three
    > years ago and each and every posting was very useful and
    > helpful - I think all regulars agreed on that (something
    > not happening too often;-) And his "tutorial" at
    >
    > http://67.40.109.61/torek/c/index.html

    I find this statements interesting:

    Standard C is quite limited. It has no networking, no
    graphics, no mouse support; it cannot start processes,
    print to printers, and so on.

    He distinguish between standard language + standard libraries
    and other, maybe nonportable, libraries. What is granted
    (standard language + standard libraries) and what may be
    available on your OS or with your IDE are different things.

    For portable programs granted things are much more important,
    than other libraries which may or may not be available under
    another OS or compiler.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

    tm, Aug 1, 2011
  10. CrazyBoB

    Chad Guest

    On Jul 28, 12:48 pm, "J. J. Farrell" <> wrote:
    > Todd Carnes wrote:
    > > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

    > >> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    > >> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    > > Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    > > this site is the same one... <http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    > Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

    Reading a typical Chris Torek response is kind of like when my ex
    girlfriend talked about menstrual her cycle. It just kind of goes over
    my head after the first minute.

    Chad, Aug 1, 2011
  11. CrazyBoB

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 8/1/2011 3:22 PM, Chad wrote:
    > On Jul 28, 12:48 pm, "J. J. Farrell"<> wrote:
    >> Todd Carnes wrote:

    >>> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    >>> this site is the same one...<http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    >> Never heard of Chris Torek? The end of the world is nigh ...

    > Reading a typical Chris Torek response is kind of like when my ex
    > girlfriend talked about menstrual her cycle. It just kind of goes over
    > my head after the first minute.

    Your head probably deserved it. <plonk>

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Aug 2, 2011
  12. CrazyBoB

    Uno Guest

    On 7/28/2011 12:04 PM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    > Todd Carnes<> wrote:
    >> On Weld, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:

    >>> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    >>> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    >> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    >> this site is the same one...<http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    > Yes, that's him. He used to post here until two or three
    > years ago and each and every posting was very useful and
    > helpful - I think all regulars agreed on that (something
    > not happening too often;-) And his "tutorial" at
    >
    > http://67.40.109.61/torek/c/index.html
    >
    > is still very worth reading and understanding. It's a pity
    > and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...
    >
    > Regards, Jens

    I remember on one particular occasion when Cbfalconer and Keith Thompson
    had announced my departure that he crossed that line of stupid orthodoxy
    and gave me the 4 paragraphs of what I was looking for.

    --
    Uno

    Uno, Aug 4, 2011
  13. CrazyBoB

    Uno Guest

    On 7/28/2011 4:31 PM, Seebs wrote:
    > On 2011-07-28, Todd Carnes<> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:47:19 -0600, Uno wrote:
    >>> Chris Torek's everywhere in C, which I've realized in particular since
    >>> I've studied linux, where of course his name is on the letterhead.

    >> Never heard of the guy... but apparently he likes cats, if the guy at
    >> this site is the same one...<http://67.40.109.61/torek/index.html>

    > That would be him, yeah. He used to post here more, back when he was
    > at BSDi, or Berkeley before that. I worked at BSDi for a while, and nowadays
    > we're both in Wind River's Linux group, doing various toolchain and build
    > system stuff.
    >
    > Basically, if you use WR Linux, and you think the compiler is wrong, I'm
    > the guy whose job is to make you not feel bad about finding out your code
    > was at fault. :p (Actually, the compiler is sometimes wrong.)
    >
    > -s

    And here I was looking for the reason that you're a prejudiced prick.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Aug 4, 2011
  14. Hi there
    URL http://infoterms.com is a Free resource of Categorized Glossary, Dictionary, Definition of Terms, Define Abbreviations, info Essay, Articles and Resources of Information in Every Area and Subject visit URL http://infoterms.com

    Category Administration and Account
    http://infoterms.com/category/terms-by-category/a-d/administration-and-account

    Glossary of Book publishing terms
    http://infoterms.com/glossary-of-book-publishing-terms-539.html

    Dictionary of Accounting Terms
    http://infoterms.com/glossary-of-accounting-terms-525.html

    Glossary of Human rights education and experience terms
    http://infoterms.com/glossary-of-human-rights-education-and-experience-terms-466.html

    Dictionary of Security Terms and definitions
    http://infoterms.com/dictionary-of-security-terms-and-definitions-406.html

    Glossary of Education Terms
    http://infoterms.com/glossary-of-education-terms-358.html

    Dictionary of data base administrator Terms
    http://infoterms.com/dictionary-of-data-base-administrator-terms-322.html
    Regards,
    Admin Team
    http://infoterms.com

    SaKinA Intelligent, Aug 7, 2011
  15. Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    .... It's a pity
    > and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

    As it seems everyone with any sanity has. Neither does Torvalds or
    Dennis RItchie post here.

    Bill Cunningham, Aug 8, 2011
  16. CrazyBoB

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 08/07/2011 09:41 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    > ... It's a pity
    >> and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

    > As it seems everyone with any sanity has. ...

    I note that you still post here.

    James Kuyper, Aug 8, 2011
  17. On Aug 8, 4:41 am, "Bill Cunningham" <> wrote:
    > Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    >
    > ... It's a pity
    >
    > > and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

    > As it seems everyone with any sanity has. Neither does Torvalds or
    > Dennis RItchie post here.

    Some people did a lot of damage to the group. Most of them have now
    stopped posting, but we haven't rebuilt yet.

    Malcolm McLean, Aug 10, 2011
  18. CrazyBoB

    Jack Guest

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:22:37 -0700, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 4:41 am, "Bill Cunningham" <> wrote:
    >> Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    >>
    >> ... It's a pity
    >>
    >> > and a loss for this group that he stopped posting here...

    >> As it seems everyone with any sanity has. Neither does Torvalds or
    >> Dennis RItchie post here.
    >>

    > Some people did a lot of damage to the group. Most of them have now
    > stopped posting, but we haven't rebuilt yet.

    Yes, it will take a long time for Richard HeathField's poisonous legacy
    to be overcome.

    Jack, Aug 10, 2011
  19. Jack <> writes:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:22:37 -0700, Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >> On Aug 8, 4:41 am, "Bill Cunningham" <> wrote:
    >>> Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... It's a pity

    >>> As it seems everyone with any sanity has. Neither does Torvalds or
    >>> Dennis RItchie post here.
    >>>

    >> Some people did a lot of damage to the group. Most of them have now
    >> stopped posting, but we haven't rebuilt yet.

    > Yes, it will take a long time for Richard HeathField's poisonous legacy
    > to be overcome.

    *plonk*

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Aug 10, 2011