chromatic?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mr P, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Mr P

    Mr P Guest

    Is this a person's name?

    I just started reading Perl Hacks- a must read in my mind. The tips
    and advice are truly inspired. Plus I can use them as AMMO in my
    company, since many of these practices I already employ (and I'm
    abused by others who don't, claiming they are a waste of time)..

    This book begins with

    "chromatic works for O'Reilly Media..."...

    I puzzled over this line for a long time, thinking perhaps they had a
    publishing glitch, and it was really supposed to be some markup text
    referring to text chroma attributes, like:

    "<chromatic>Wally Schmedly</chromatic> works for O'Reilly Media...".

    Then I turned to the cover and it said "chromatic" there also. It
    didn't have the word "author" anywhere on the cover, so the word
    "chromatic" just sort of hung out there in space with no contextual
    meaning except that which might be assumed, like *usually* an author
    is on the cover of a book, and since it seems disjointed from the
    title, perhaps it's an author's moniker.

    It concerned me too that if I spent this long puzzled over line #1, in
    the intro, then how could I possibly ever expect to get through the
    entire text?

    I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a real
    person. It would have made sense, therefore, to perhaps pen this as
    something like:

    "chromatic [1] works for O'Reilly Media..."...

    Mr P, Nov 7, 2007

  2. >>>>> "P" == P <> writes:

    P> I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a
    P> real person.

    chromatic is the pseudonym of a very competent Perl hacker and author.
    You really don't need to worry about it further.

    (And no, despite my domain name, I am not chromatic.)

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur

    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 7, 2007

  3. On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:03:45 -0000, Mr P <> wrote:

    >"chromatic works for O'Reilly Media..."...

    He's also this guy:

    http://perlmonks.org/?node=chromatic

    Just don't mind. Some excellent Perl hacker are a bit eccentric
    sometimes, see e.g. "our" own Bri^Wbrian d foy.

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Nov 7, 2007
  4. On Nov 7, 4:03 pm, Mr P <> wrote:
    > Is this a person's name?
    > I'm fairly certain that "chromatic" was not a given name for a real
    > person. It would have made sense, therefore, to perhaps pen this as
    > something like:
    >
    > "chromatic [1] works for O'Reilly Media..."...
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > [1]- The Perl Hacker formerly known as Wally Schmedly
    >
    > might have helped.

    There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
    that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,
    chromatic, Smylers...).

    Indeed when you attend (or speak at) a Perl conference like YAPC you
    should be asked on the registration form if you want your real name to
    appear on your badge, in the schedule, etc.

    I recall, at one YAPC, Smylers was quite peeved that his given name
    had appeared contrary to his request.

    Brian McCauley, Nov 7, 2007
  5. On Nov 7, 5:47 pm, Brian McCauley <> wrote:

    > I recall, at one YAPC...

    ....and speaking of speaking at YAPC, here's chromatic speaking at
    YAPC::Europe::2006

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=324

    And cog..

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=315

    And Barbie and Domm...

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=463

    And acme...

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=374

    And Abigail...

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=381

    And here's me (although I no longer just go by "nobull")...

    http://images.jonallen.info/display.pl?template=perl&image=296

    Brian McCauley, Nov 7, 2007
  6. On 2007-11-07, Brian McCauley <> wrote:

    > There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
    > that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,

    I am shocked.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

    all mail refused, Nov 7, 2007
  7. On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:59:17 +0000, all mail refused wrote:

    > On 2007-11-07, Brian McCauley <> wrote:
    >
    >> There is a tradition in Perl circles (and hacker circles generally)
    >> that people can choose to remain pseudonymous (Abigail, Barbie,

    > I am shocked.

    No, you are "all mail refused" :)

    M4

    Martijn Lievaart, Nov 7, 2007