Chrome for Android does not support JAVA

Arne Vajhøj

Before Internet access was common, there was no reason for most non-developers
to have a computer at home.

People could have wanted to run word process, spreadsheet or
accounting at home also.

But the price was a bit steep back then.

Arne

Richard Maher

Arne Vajhøj said:
True.

But there are a lot of apps that don't need what you describe.

True.

I am sure there are still many apps that get by with static pages, and there
are even those who still yearn for the stability and simplicity of the
LAMP/WAMP days. Yes, we are all in the gutter Arne, but some of us are
looking at the Applets!

Cheers Richard Maher

Richard Maher

Roedy Green said:

Hi Roedy,

Thanks for your response on this (and other issues over the years).

My issue maybe as simple as jumping the gun on Java7. I thought it has been
mainstream for yonks but it looks like it's still beta; is that correct?

I have a box running 1.7.0-03b05 plugin 10.3.0.5 and *everything* is peachy!
But 1.7.0-b147 plugin 10.0.0.147 and I get the "Chrome says you're running
crap click here for once only" message :-(

I am *VERY* excited about having worked around the bug in: -
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7001755 (basically
replace the "rendezvous()" call with a return value) and need to rule out
this version crap.

Should I remove 1.7 altogether? Why does Chrome not see 1.7 and still
complain about 6.31 even though it's still there? Why do I get that sick
page error?

Ok, in a nutshell, "Is Java 7 off the table for the time-being?" or
"1.7.0-03b05 is the mutt's nutz! This is the candidate release and why
you're getting such good results - bet the farm on it!"

Firefox, IE8, Opera, Chrome, and Safari are *ALL* on board with this on
platform X; why is it magic? (Same Chrome, IE, FF. Safari and Opera
versions; it certainly appears to be a dicky JRE?)

Cheers Richard Maher

Lew

Richard said:
My issue maybe as simple as jumping the gun on Java7. I thought it has been
mainstream for yonks but it looks like it's still beta; is that correct?

No. Java 7 was released on 2011-07-07.

You can tell it's not beta by the verbiage at
I have a box running 1.7.0-03b05 plugin 10.3.0.5 and *everything* is peachy!
But 1.7.0-b147 plugin 10.0.0.147 and I get the "Chrome says you're running
crap click here for once only" message :-(

Java 7 update 3 is what's current.
I am *VERY* excited about having worked around the bug in: -
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7001755 (basically
replace the "rendezvous()" call with a return value) and need to rule out
this version crap.

Should I remove 1.7 altogether? Why does Chrome not see 1.7 and still
complain about 6.31 even though it's still there? Why do I get that sick
page error?

Don't know the answers, but if Java 6u31 is still there, that could explain why Chrome is looking for it.
Ok, in a nutshell, "Is Java 7 off the table for the time-being?" or
"1.7.0-03b05 is the mutt's nutz! This is the candidate release and why
you're getting such good results - bet the farm on it!"

Java 7u3 is not a candidate release.

Richard Maher

Lew said:
No. Java 7 was released on 2011-07-07.

Sounds more like it. I came across
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java7.xml and seeing Google pushing 6.31
I got confused.
You can tell it's not beta by the verbiage at
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/>
"Java SE 7 is the current release of the Java SE platform."
Thanks.

Java 7 update 3 is what's current.

Thanks again.
Don't know the answers, but if Java 6u31 is still there, that could
explain why Chrome is looking for it.

Yeah looks like I had a sick installation of Chrome (even its own cache
clearing page choked) an I had 6.31 enabled for a while with a disabled 7.0
and, anyway, re-installed Chrome, set 7 on and 6.31 off and it now seems to
work.
Java 7u3 is not a candidate release.

Now (maybe also for a while) I'm getting "The Java plug-in needs your
permission to run" :-(
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1247383

I like Google less and less (now with two GoogleUpdate jobs running and
GoogleToolBarNotifier and who knows what else)

Arved Sandstrom

Java 6 is still being updated.

And there are probably still more on Java 6 than on Java 7.

Arne
Java 7 is the first release of Java that I've had trepidation about
moving onto. A number of Java applications I use failed silently on 7:
no exceptions, just some commanded operation or the other wouldn't
happen. As soon as I pointed them back at 6 the apps worked perfectly OK.

I see from release notes that a number of these apps have fixed
*something* since last summer that lets them work with Java 7. On the
other hand, when I see an application release note that's worded like
"this now works with Java 7", and the timing of that note is shortly
after a Java 7 update, was it the app that got fixed, or Java? Short of
asking each and every one of these application teams what it was that
got fixed, which I don't have the time for, I'm assuming that it was Java.

I haven't seen a single enterprise customer that my company works with
move to Java 7 or express interest in moving onto 7. Given that the new
owner of Java didn't come out with a Java 7 capable WebLogic until
November 2011 (WebLogic 11g 10.3.6) I don't suppose that anyone who has
to deal with Java EE app servers or other middleware can be blamed for
being cautious.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

Java 7 is the first release of Java that I've had trepidation about
moving onto. A number of Java applications I use failed silently on 7:
no exceptions, just some commanded operation or the other wouldn't
happen. As soon as I pointed them back at 6 the apps worked perfectly OK.

I see from release notes that a number of these apps have fixed
*something* since last summer that lets them work with Java 7. On the
other hand, when I see an application release note that's worded like
"this now works with Java 7", and the timing of that note is shortly
after a Java 7 update, was it the app that got fixed, or Java? Short of
asking each and every one of these application teams what it was that
got fixed, which I don't have the time for, I'm assuming that it was Java.

It is well known that the first Oracle Java 7 shipped with an
optimization bug (Lucene bug) that were fixed in an update.

It could relate to that.
I haven't seen a single enterprise customer that my company works with
move to Java 7 or express interest in moving onto 7. Given that the new
owner of Java didn't come out with a Java 7 capable WebLogic until
November 2011 (WebLogic 11g 10.3.6) I don't suppose that anyone who has
to deal with Java EE app servers or other middleware can be blamed for
being cautious.

And WAS 8.5 is just recently out in beta.

JBoss 7 has supported SE 7 for at least a half year.

It will take 2-3 years before SE 6 will be "old" in the EE world.

Arne