    that you need Java SE6 U10 (beta) but if you click through you get
    offered 6 Update 11, which doesn't work.

    Does anyone know how to get this working?
    segalsegal, Dec 12, 2008

  2. segalsegal

    Dave Miller Guest

    segalsegal wrote:
    > Using the release version of Google's Chrome browser on Vista, if you
    > go to an applet page (e.g., www.segal.org/java/Hello/) it tells you
    > that you need Java SE6 U10 (beta) but if you click through you get
    > offered 6 Update 11, which doesn't work.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to get this working?

    It seems to be local to your machine - both your applet and others work
    on my XP.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting
    Dave Miller, Dec 13, 2008

  3. segalsegal

    segalsegal Guest

    On Dec 12, 11:59 pm, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    > It seems to be local to your machine - both your applet and others work
    > on my XP.

    Did you already have SE6 U10 (beta) installed?
    segalsegal, Dec 13, 2008
  4. segalsegal

    Lew Guest

    segalsegal wrote:
    > Using the release version of Google's Chrome browser on Vista, if you
    > go to an applet page (e.g., www.segal.org/java/Hello/) it tells you
    > that you need Java SE6 U10 (beta) but if you click through you get
    > offered 6 Update 11, which doesn't work.

    If indeed the non-beta, more recent version of Java fails then there is a
    problem either with Chrome or the applet in its version checking. One can
    perhaps excuse it not working with an earlier version, but insisting on a beta
    version that is months out of date and refusing to use a later, release version?

    Can you give any more details about the failure beyond "doesn't work"?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 13, 2008
  5. segalsegal

    segalsegal Guest

    On Dec 13, 10:15 am, Lew <> wrote:

    > Can you give any more details about the failure beyond "doesn't work"?

    After installing Java 6 Update 11 you still get the same request to
    install a plug-in.

    Previously I'd had the Chrome beta installed and Java applets worked
    after downloading a special Java version, presumably Java SE6 U10
    (beta). When installing the release version of Chrome I uninstalled
    the Chrome beta first and installed the release version. I seem to
    have deleted the Java SE6 U10 (beta) at some point, presumably while I
    was fiddling recently with some of the Java 7 early access builds.

    It looks like Java 6 Update 11 is missing something needed for Chrome
    and Chrome is mistakedly pointing people towards this version.
    segalsegal, Dec 13, 2008
  6. segalsegal

    Dave Miller Guest

    segalsegal wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 11:59 pm, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    >> It seems to be local to your machine - both your applet and others work
    >> on my XP.

    > Did you already have SE6 U10 (beta) installed?

    No, I installed it from Chrome.

    Dave Miller, Dec 15, 2008
  7. segalsegal

    Dave Miller Guest

    segalsegal wrote:
    > On Dec 13, 10:15 am, Lew <> wrote:
    >> Can you give any more details about the failure beyond "doesn't work"?

    > After installing Java 6 Update 11 you still get the same request to
    > install a plug-in.
    >
    > Previously I'd had the Chrome beta installed and Java applets worked
    > after downloading a special Java version, presumably Java SE6 U10
    > (beta). When installing the release version of Chrome I uninstalled
    > the Chrome beta first and installed the release version. I seem to
    > have deleted the Java SE6 U10 (beta) at some point, presumably while I
    > was fiddling recently with some of the Java 7 early access builds.
    >
    > It looks like Java 6 Update 11 is missing something needed for Chrome
    > and Chrome is mistakedly pointing people towards this version.

    My post to your other question was misleading - I installed _11 (not 10)
    from the Java site after being sent there by the Chrome pop up. I too
    got the plug-in missing pop up after installing 11 but a restart of
    Chrome fixed that. Long story short, applets are running in my copy of
    Chrome with the latest JRE plugin.

    Dave Miller, Dec 15, 2008
  8. segalsegal

    segalsegal Guest

    On Dec 15, 9:22 am, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    > My post to your other question was misleading - I installed _11 (not 10)
    > from the Java site after being sent there by the Chrome pop up. I too
    > got the plug-in missing pop up after installing 11 but a restart of
    > Chrome fixed that. Long story short, applets are running in my copy of
    > Chrome with the latest JRE plugin.

    I think I figured out the problem. I looked in the Java Control Panel
    and found only Java 1.7 listed for applets. I then uninstalled Java
    1.7, uninstalled Java 1.6 Update 11 (it had indeed been installed),
    reinstalled 1.6 update 11 and then 1.6 showed up in the Java Control
    Panel and applets worked in Chrome.

    So it looks like the only people who will be affected by this problem
    are those who have Java 1.7 installed and try to add 1.6. It doesn't
    sound worth filing a bug report, particularly since Sun hasn't fixed
    any of the bugs I've filed in recent years (see http://www.segal.org/java/sun/)
    and I'd rather have Sun focus their limited resources on problems that
    end users will actually see.
    segalsegal, Dec 16, 2008
  9. segalsegal

    Lew Guest

    segalsegal wrote:
    > I think I figured out the problem.  I looked in the Java Control Panel
    > and found only Java 1.7 listed for applets.  I then uninstalled Java
    > 1.7, uninstalled Java 1.6 Update 11 (it had indeed been installed),
    > reinstalled 1.6 update 11 and then 1.6 showed up in the Java Control
    > Panel and applets worked in Chrome.
    >
    > So it looks like the only people who will be affected by this problem
    > are those who have Java 1.7 installed and try to add 1.6.  It doesn't
    > sound worth filing a bug report, particularly since Sun hasn't fixed
    > any of the bugs I've filed in recent years (seehttp://www.segal.org/java/sun/)
    > and I'd rather have Sun focus their limited resources on problems that
    > end users will actually see.

    Java 7 is not released yet, which may bear on the situation you
    experienced. It's also a later version than Java 6. Perhaps
    installing an older version of Java on Windows than one already in
    place is intended not to replace the later version's associations. I
    suspect that installing a newer version would replace the older
    version's associations. If true, this would normally be desirable
    behavior. I seem to recall that Windows JRE installers ask if you
    wish to associate the particular version with your browsers.

    What you experienced might not be a bug at all. I would consider it a
    bug if the older version *did* replace the newer one's associations
    without explicit permission.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 16, 2008
  10. segalsegal

    segalsegal Guest

    On Dec 16, 11:46 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > What you experienced might not be a bug at all.  I would consider it a
    > bug if the older version *did* replace the newer one's associations
    > without explicit permission.

    The behavior I would expect is that I'd still get to choose in the
    Java Control Panel which JRE to use for applets, but no choice was
    available. One might also expect that Java 1.7 would have the
    capability to support Chrome already built in, but apparently this has
    not been added yet.

    Since the only people likely to be affected by this problem are
    developers, they are likely to be resourceful enough to do a web
    search and hopefully find this thread telling them how to deal with
    the problem. If they search Google Groups this thread is already in
    the top 10 results (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=java chrome).
    segalsegal, Dec 16, 2008
  11. segalsegal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:59:04 -0800 (PST), segalsegal
    who said :

    >Using the release version of Google's Chrome browser on Vista, if you
    >go to an applet page (e.g., www.segal.org/java/Hello/) it tells you
    >that you need Java SE6 U10 (beta) but if you click through you get
    >offered 6 Update 11, which doesn't work.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to get this working?

    Update your Chrome to 1.0.154.36 and your JDK to 1.6.0_11

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Dec 18, 2008
  12. segalsegal

    Guest

    On Dec 18, 1:12 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:59:04 -0800 (PST), segalsegal
    > who said :
    >
    > >Using the release version of Google's Chrome browser on Vista, if you
    > >go to an applet page (e.g.,www.segal.org/java/Hello/) it tells you
    > >that you need Java SE6 U10 (beta) but if you click through you get
    > >offered 6 Update 11, which doesn't work.

    > >Does anyone know how to get this working?

    > Update your Chrome to 1.0.154.36 and your JDK to 1.6.0_11
    >
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Productshttp://mindprod.com
    > PM Steven Harper is fixated on the costs of implementing Kyoto, estimated as high as 1% of GDP.
    > However, he refuses to consider the costs of not implementing Kyoto which the
    > famous economist Nicholas Stern estimated at 5 to 20% of GDP

    it's working perfectly fine for me, running on Vista with JDK6
    installed
    , Dec 18, 2008
  13. segalsegal

    segalsegal Guest

    On Dec 18, 12:12 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:

    > Update your Chrome to 1.0.154.36 and your JDK to 1.6.0_11

    It seems to have been a problem due to having Java 1.7 installed,
    which does not work with Chrome.
    segalsegal, Dec 18, 2008