chroot + tomcat => multiple instance of java process running !

tosh

Hello,

I have created a jail to run the tomcat web server, using the chroot
program and following specific guidelines found in the web. This jail
works perfectly but when i take a look at the running processes, the
"ps" command indicates that there are several instances of java
running ( up to 20!).
This is very strange because when i run the same tomcat command
without the jail (i.e. without chroot), only one instance of java is
executed.

Does anyone have an explanation or could help?
Thank You.
Regards.

Stefan Schulz

Hello,

I have created a jail to run the tomcat web server, using the chroot
program and following specific guidelines found in the web. This jail
works perfectly but when i take a look at the running processes, the
"ps" command indicates that there are several instances of java
running ( up to 20!).
This is very strange because when i run the same tomcat command
without the jail (i.e. without chroot), only one instance of java is
executed.

While i can only guess, since Tomcat is really not my speciality, there
might be an issue that the "jailed" java processes can't detect there
are already other JVMs running (due to some pid file outside of the jail?)

Thomas Weidenfeller

tosh said:
I have created a jail to run the tomcat web server, using the chroot
program and following specific guidelines found in the web. This jail
works perfectly but when i take a look at the running processes, the
"ps" command indicates that there are several instances of java
running ( up to 20!).

If this is Linux, then the ps output is the problem. ps on Linux prints
each tread as an own process. AFAIK this has only recently been fixed in
Linux.

/Thomas

tosh

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
If this is Linux, then the ps output is the problem. ps on Linux prints
each tread as an own process. AFAIK this has only recently been fixed in
Linux.

/Thomas

It s the last mandake 10.1 distrib. Anyway, "ps" displays only one
process when the command is not chrooted. Someone in another forum
suggests the following:
"Java chooses a threading mechanism based on what shared
libraries are available. Normally it finds a shared lib that lets all
its threads be part of one Linux process. In the chroot jail it
doesn't
find that shared lib."
That could be the raison and in aggreement with your suggestion. But
what is this library :) i put in my jail lib directory all libs
returned by ldd... except linux-gate.s0.1 which is a special one..
could that be the trick?

Thanks to all, for the inputs.