Circle Hell

Talon

Hi all,

I am new to Tk, so please bear with me. I need someone better at math
than me to help me figure this out. I am drawing multiple arcs on the
same circle. All arcs start at 90 and have varying negative extents
(different colors, goes all the way around. Represents a microbial
genome). So now that my arcs are drawn, I would would like to draw a
line, 25 pixels long that starts on the circle at the endpoint of each
of the arcs, and looks like an extension of the radius extending above
the circle. Then I would like to print text at the end of this line. So
my question is how do I dynamically calculate the line coordinates?
Circle size is fixed, number of arcs and their extents are variable.

Code for drawing arc;
$x1,$y1 = 25
$x2,$y2 = 775
$xcenter = $x2/2 + $x1;
$ycenter = $y2/2 + $y1;

$canvas->createArc($x1,$y1,$x2,$y2,
-width=>10,
-outline=>$colors[$color],
-style=>'arc',
-start=>90,
-extent=>-$actual_angle,
-tags=>$myorfs{$key}[1]);

What I have so far to draw lines:

$xstart = (cos($current_arclength)*$radius+$xcenter) /10;
$ystart = (sin($current_arclength)*$radius+$ycenter) /10;
$canvas->createLine($xstart+$xcenter,
$ystart+$ycenter,
$xstart+($xstart*0.01)+$xcenter,
$ystart+($ystart*0.01)+$ycenter);

This draws an oval of lines, inside the orginal circle, with the line
length having sin periodicity around the circle. Can anyone improve my
math so that I can get the lines placed properly with the proper length?

Please email me directly as well as respond to the list. Thanks so much
in advance.

--Math Challenged Mark

(e-mail address removed)

Bengt Richter

[...]

These look ok except dividing by 10, assuming the units for the angle are ok (degrees vs radians?)
Dividing by 10 seems weird here, so try leaving it out.
$canvas->createLine($xstart+$xcenter,
$ystart+$ycenter,
From above, xstart already has xcenter in it, so don't add it again. Same for ycenter.
$xstart+($xstart*0.01)+$xcenter,
$ystart+($ystart*0.01)+$ycenter);
If you want to draw a 25-pixel line, where is the "25"? You just need to resolve the 25
into x and y components and add them to your respective starting points, I would think.
So UIAM the above becomes (giving a name to the 25-pixel length (assuming dimensions are in pixels)

$tick_length = 25.0;

$xstart = cos($current_arclength)*$radius+$xcenter;
$ystart = sin($current_arclength)*$radius+$ycenter;

$canvas->createLine($xstart,
$ystart,
$xstart+ cos($current_arclength)*$tick_length,
$ystart+ sin($current_arclength)*$tick_length);
This draws an oval of lines, inside the orginal circle, with the line
length having sin periodicity around the circle. Can anyone improve my
math so that I can get the lines placed properly with the proper length?

Please email me directly as well as respond to the list. Thanks so much
in advance.

--Math Challenged Mark

(e-mail address removed)

HTH

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Mark Carter

$xstart = (cos($current_arclength)*$radius+$xcenter) /10;
$ystart = (sin($current_arclength)*$radius+$ycenter) /10;

I wouldn't be using lengths of arcs, if I were you. And that division
by 10 looks a bit odd, too.

Given a circle of radius r, if the arc stops at an angle theta to the
horizontal (measured anticlockwise from the east), then the point on
the circle is:
x = xcentre + r * cos(theta)
y = ycentre + r * sin(theta)

If you want to know the point at a distance 25 from the circle, simply
substitute (r + 25) in the formula above.