circular import Module

ajikoe

Hello,

I have two modules (file1.py and file2.py)
Is that ok in python (without any weird implication) if my module
import each other. I mean in module file1.py there exist command import
file2 and in module file2.py there exist command import file1?

This is not working in C#.

pujo

Douglas Soares de Andrade

Hi !
Circular import does not work on module level, but you can
import the module in a method:

file1.py:
import file2

file2.py:
# import file1 # Does not work!
def foo():
import file1 # Does work

Cool idea !

It works on local namespaces, wich dont cause trouble to the whole program.

+1

Thomas Guettler

Am Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:11:50 -0700 schrieb (e-mail address removed):
Hello,

I have two modules (file1.py and file2.py)
Is that ok in python (without any weird implication) if my module
import each other. I mean in module file1.py there exist command import
file2 and in module file2.py there exist command import file1?

This is not working in C#.

Circular import does not work on module level, but you can
import the module in a method:

file1.py:
import file2

file2.py:
# import file1 # Does not work!
def foo():
import file1 # Does work

HTH,
Thomas

Josef Meile

Circular import does not work on module level, but you can
Cool idea !

It works on local namespaces, wich dont cause trouble to the whole program.

+1
Yes, I also think is a good solution. Once I needed to do something like
that and ended by writting a third module with the shared functions that
the two conflicting modules needed. At that time I already knew that one
could import modules from functions; however, I didn't come up with that
solution :-(

Regards,
Josef

Philippe C. Martin

That's the only way out I found with some module import problem using code
generated by wxDesigner.

Greg Ewing

Thomas said:
file1.py:
import file2

file2.py:
# import file1 # Does not work!

Actually, that *will* work as long as you don't
try to use anything from file1 until it has finished
being loaded.

What won't work is

file2.py:
from file1 import somename

because somename won't yet have been defined in
file1 at the time file2 is imported.

Magnus Lycka

Hello,

I have two modules (file1.py and file2.py)
Is that ok in python (without any weird implication) if my module
import each other. I mean in module file1.py there exist command import
file2 and in module file2.py there exist command import file1?

Even if it works, it gives you a hint of a design
problem that might come back and bite you later.

If file1 depends on file2 *and* vice versa, it seems
those two modules are tightly coupled. Perhaps they
should be one module rather than two, or perhaps
some redesign should be made to untangle this cycle.

It happens that old Java programmers make one module
per class when they start using Python. That's more
or less equivalent of never using more than 8.3
characters in filenames in modern operating systems,
or to make a detour on your way to work because there
used to be a fence blocking the shortest way a long
time ago... :)

Due to the cycle, you can never use file1 without
file2 or vice versa. Why do you then want it to be
two different modules instead of one?

As others noted, you can usually fix your cycle problems
by importing in a local scope, but just because you can,
it doesn't mean that you should...

Terry Hancock

Even if it works, it gives you a hint of a design
problem that might come back and bite you later.

If file1 depends on file2 *and* vice versa, it seems
those two modules are tightly coupled. Perhaps they
should be one module rather than two, or perhaps
some redesign should be made to untangle this cycle.

True in principle, but what if the resulting module is 1000 lines long?

It doesn't happen often, because python programs don't usually
get that complicated (e.g. lots of tightly interacting classes), but there
are enough exceptions to make it seem desireable to have modules
divided only for readability (i.e. logically the same module).

I can only think of one way to pull this off at present, though,
and that is to create a package:

big_package/
__init__.py
mod1.py
mod2.py
mod3.py

where __init__.py looks something like:

from mod1 import *
from mod2 import *
from mod3 import *

Then you treat "big_package" as the module to import. You'll
still have problems with names that need to be global to all three
modules (I think they'd have to be in __init__.py or possibly in
mod1 in order to work correctly), but it's pretty close.

Greg Ewing

Magnus said:
Due to the cycle, you can never use file1 without
file2 or vice versa. Why do you then want it to be
two different modules instead of one?

Perhaps because it would then be too big and
unwieldy to maintain?

Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for
mutually-dependent modules.

Magnus Lycka

Greg said:
Perhaps because it would then be too big and
unwieldy to maintain?

Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for
mutually-dependent modules.

Agreed, but I think it's important to think about
the design if a chunk of code gets that big. Most
of the time, things can be organized differently,
and there will be maintenance gains from this. If
you have mutual dependenices between two modules,
they still have to be maintained as a unit. You
can't disregard one when you modify the other. To
achieve looser (and prefereably not mutual)
dependencies between separate modules both makes
it easier to maintain the modules and more likely
that we will be able to reuse them in other contexts.

Sure, there simple are tricks you can use to get away
with mutual import dependencies, but if I ran into a
mutual dependency between two Python modules, I would
first think about their design and try to resolve this
dependency issue. I probably wouldn't use a trick such
as import in a local scope unless I was in a hurry and
needed a quick fix while I was considering a proper
design. (I might then be lazy and not resolve the
design problem, but it would continue to disturb me...)

Composition and inheritance might be used to break
out parts of code that doesn't have dependencies to
the rest of the code. There are all sorts of design
pattern that can resolve mutual dependencies. I often
use callbacks to get away from mutual dependencies.

E.g.

class Adder:
def __init__(self, x, y, callback):
self.x = x
self.y = y
self.callback = callback

def calc(self):
result = self.x + self.y
self.callback(result)

class Manager:
def add(self, x, y):
b = B(x, y, self.show)
b.calc()

def show(self, value):
print value

This is a silly example of course. Adder.calc could simply
have returned the result, but I don't have time to construct
anything elaborate now. The point I want to show is that
by passing in a callable from Manager to Adder, Adder
instances can call certain methods in particular Manager
instanes without any dependencies to the module where Manager
lives. It just needs to know what kind of parameters it should
supply to the callable it was passed.

Martin Fowler's book Refactoring shows a lot of examples
that are useful when code grows and needs to be divided
into smaller chunks. His examples and ideas revolve around
Java and C++ though, and it's often much simpler in Python.