Circumventing entity conversion. Can Xalan help?

jazzdman

Hi,
From what I've been reading so far, I think I already know the
answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an XML document
that contains cdata sections with HTML. I want to transform the
document in such a way that the < and > characters in the cdata
sections are unchanged (ie not converted to &gt; and &lt;) upon output.
Since XSLT is supposed to allow for transformations from XML to XML, I
can understand why transform engines wouldn't let you do this, but I
still need to do it. Furthermore, I can't imagine my situation is
unique. I don't know enough about Xalan to know if this would work,
but would it be possible to create an extension element or function
that would allow me to circumvent the entity conversion? The extension
function would be pretty simple to code, the question is, does the
entity conversion occur after the transformation (ie as the text node
tree is being output) or during. If it occurs during, then I think I'm
good. If the conversion occurs after, is there some other way to
achieve this effect? xsl:text and xsl:eek:utput don't provide any help.

Anyone have a suggestion, other than not using XML for what I'm trying
to do?

Thanks,

Jason Mazzotta