Cite Your Blockquotes

Jukka K. Korpela

kayodeok said:
http://www.simiandesign.com/blog-fu/2003/11/001820.cfm#001820

uses the ":after" pseudo-element like so:

blockquote[cite]:after { - -

That's an interesting idea, but maybe not _that_ great. First...
Unfortunately, it doesn't work in IE

.... is not a negligible point. Second, it shows the _URL_ of the cited
resource, out of necessity, since the URL is what the cite attribute
contains. I think we should avoid making URLs visible and use titles or
names of documents instead.

Besides, it's actually easier to put the citation after the blockquote, as a
normal link as normal page content. There's hardly a reason to make its
appearance depend on CSS. More notes along these lines:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/bq.html