Cite Your Blockquotes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Nov 17, 2003

  2. kayodeok <> wrote:

    > http://www.simiandesign.com/blog-fu/2003/11/001820.cfm#001820
    >
    > uses the ":after" pseudo-element like so:
    >
    > blockquote[cite]:after { - -

    That's an interesting idea, but maybe not _that_ great. First...

    > Unfortunately, it doesn't work in IE

    .... is not a negligible point. Second, it shows the _URL_ of the cited
    resource, out of necessity, since the URL is what the cite attribute
    contains. I think we should avoid making URLs visible and use titles or
    names of documents instead.

    Besides, it's actually easier to put the citation after the blockquote, as a
    normal link as normal page content. There's hardly a reason to make its
    appearance depend on CSS. More notes along these lines:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/bq.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 17, 2003