Citing Python

Andrew Wilkinson

Hi,

Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
to the project) that is suitable for this?

Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy with
that.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Wilkinson

David Eppstein

Andrew Wilkinson said:
Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
to the project) that is suitable for this?

Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy with
that.

I've done it a couple times. When I do, I just cite
G. van Rossum et al., Python Language Website, http://www.python.org/.
For more specific ideas within Python it may make sense to cite one of
the PEP's, which I think are just like tech reports.

Terry Reedy

Andrew Wilkinson said:
Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
to the project) that is suitable for this?

Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy with
that.

I would cite the reference manual which defines the language, and others
have posted that they have done so. I believe that this is a pretty
standard way to cite a language. The exact format depends where your paper
is published.

Terry J. Reedy