clarification needed: Which layer to validate CSV file?

Guest

I posted the following question but wanted to clarify that the developer who
wants to validate on the ASPX meant the CODE BEHIND page of the ASPX. Does
this make a difference in anyone's responses? Thanks.
******
We have a debate here. We are receiving a CSV file specified by the user and
need to validate the contents, writing the "good" records to the database and
displaying the "bad" records to the user. One developer wants to loop
through the CSV file right on the web layer (ASPX) and then only pass the
"good" records onto the DAL. The other developer wants to pass the whole
file as an OBJECT to the business logic layer and then loop through there,
passing onto the DAL the "good" records and returning the "bad" records back
to the web layer to be presented to the user.

Is there a "best practice" here? The first developer is looking at the file
as just another user input to be validated, while the other developer is
looking at the file as an object, to be passed through to the BLL. Any
insights or recommendations?? Thanks!