clarification on comment

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by bbxrider, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    i would apologize based on your request because i appreciate your thoughtful
    and helpful replies
    and that engenders my respect for your opinions as well
    perhaps i should have stated my dilema that 'it seems to work from the
    testing i have done', instead of 'i know it works'
    because i did test the code as best i thought and am confused by the
    results, i always try to find answers first from my manuals and
    then google
    as far as coding and testing i think we all come to understand how it works
    from both its stated functionality
    in documentation and actual testing, i'm new to perl but there are other
    languages that i programmed in
    for years and still am learing subtle things about even the most common
    syntax, functions etc., the point being
    we are not perfect, sometimes there is more than we think we know, and
    sometimes we seek the help of
    others when at a dead end
    but thats why i post questions in a forum such as this, obviously if i
    understood the code i wouldn't be
    asking the question!
    i can't know the exact motivation of tintin's comments and if i
    misintrepeted, i regret that.
    the extent and tone of his reply, solely as written, seems to be questioning
    my right to even ask the question
    it has a sarcastic tone and it seems to be scolding or demeaning, if thats
    all somebody has to say without
    any hint of 'maybe you should try this or read this, etc' then i can only
    assume they have not other motivation
    other than negativity.

    From: "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <>
    Subject: Re: newbie regular expression questions
    Date: Sunday, November 23, 2003 5:31 PM

    bbxrider wrote:
    > thanks for all the help, except from tintin, if thats your idea of
    > help please just keep it to yourself, it certainly doesn't do
    > anybody any good

    Tintin's comment was not unhelpful, it was justified, and you really
    ought to find it worth considering. IMHO you owe him an apology.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    bbxrider, Nov 24, 2003

  2. > i would apologize based on your request because i appreciate your thoughtful
    > and helpful replies
    > and that engenders my respect for your opinions as well
    > perhaps i should have stated my dilema that 'it seems to work from the
    > testing i have done', instead of 'i know it works'
    > because i did test the code as best i thought and am confused by the
    > results, i always try to find answers first from my manuals and
    > then google
    > as far as coding and testing i think we all come to understand how it works
    > from both its stated functionality
    > in documentation and actual testing, i'm new to perl but there are other
    > languages that i programmed in
    > for years and still am learing subtle things about even the most common
    > syntax, functions etc., the point being
    > we are not perfect, sometimes there is more than we think we know, and
    > sometimes we seek the help of
    > others when at a dead end
    > but thats why i post questions in a forum such as this, obviously if i
    > understood the code i wouldn't be
    > asking the question!
    > i can't know the exact motivation of tintin's comments and if i
    > misintrepeted, i regret that.
    > the extent and tone of his reply, solely as written, seems to be questioning
    > my right to even ask the question
    > it has a sarcastic tone and it seems to be scolding or demeaning, if thats
    > all somebody has to say without
    > any hint of 'maybe you should try this or read this, etc' then i can only
    > assume they have not other motivation
    > other than negativity.
    >
    > From: "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <>
    > Subject: Re: newbie regular expression questions
    > Date: Sunday, November 23, 2003 5:31 PM
    >
    > bbxrider wrote:
    > > thanks for all the help, except from tintin, if thats your idea of
    > > help please just keep it to yourself, it certainly doesn't do
    > > anybody any good

    > Tintin's comment was not unhelpful, it was justified, and you really
    > ought to find it worth considering. IMHO you owe him an apology.
    >
    > --
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    nod.. alot of people here seem 'uptight' and way to quick to scold someone.
    mabey cause im just using perl for a hobby.. but this group makes perl seem like
    'work' at times. if you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all.

    Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz, Nov 24, 2003

  3. > > i would apologize based on your request because i appreciate your thoughtful
    > > and helpful replies
    > > and that engenders my respect for your opinions as well
    > > perhaps i should have stated my dilema that 'it seems to work from the
    > > testing i have done', instead of 'i know it works'
    > > because i did test the code as best i thought and am confused by the
    > > results, i always try to find answers first from my manuals and
    > > then google
    > > as far as coding and testing i think we all come to understand how it works
    > > from both its stated functionality
    > > in documentation and actual testing, i'm new to perl but there are other
    > > languages that i programmed in
    > > for years and still am learing subtle things about even the most common
    > > syntax, functions etc., the point being
    > > we are not perfect, sometimes there is more than we think we know, and
    > > sometimes we seek the help of
    > > others when at a dead end
    > > but thats why i post questions in a forum such as this, obviously if i
    > > understood the code i wouldn't be
    > > asking the question!
    > > i can't know the exact motivation of tintin's comments and if i
    > > misintrepeted, i regret that.
    > > the extent and tone of his reply, solely as written, seems to be questioning
    > > my right to even ask the question
    > > it has a sarcastic tone and it seems to be scolding or demeaning, if thats
    > > all somebody has to say without
    > > any hint of 'maybe you should try this or read this, etc' then i can only
    > > assume they have not other motivation
    > > other than negativity.
    > >
    > > From: "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <>
    > > Subject: Re: newbie regular expression questions
    > > Date: Sunday, November 23, 2003 5:31 PM
    > >
    > > bbxrider wrote:
    > > > thanks for all the help, except from tintin, if thats your idea of
    > > > help please just keep it to yourself, it certainly doesn't do
    > > > anybody any good

    > > Tintin's comment was not unhelpful, it was justified, and you really
    > > ought to find it worth considering. IMHO you owe him an apology.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    > > Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
    > >

    > nod.. alot of people here seem 'uptight' and way to quick to scold someone.
    > mabey cause im just using perl for a hobby.. but this group makes perl seem like
    > 'work' at times. if you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all.

    for example:
    Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz wrote:
    > any way i can accomplish this?

    Accomplish what?

    > the initial print never seems to work,

    Work?

    > untill there is another command after the initial print.
    > (\n <stdin> etc..)

    Sorry, don't understand.

    Please (re-)read the posting guidelines
    and rewrite your question, following the advice in the guidelines.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    why even bother writing that??

    Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz, Nov 24, 2003
  4. bbxrider

    Uri Guttman Guest

    D> nod.. alot of people here seem 'uptight' and way to quick to scold
    D> someone. mabey cause im just using perl for a hobby.. but this
    D> group makes perl seem like 'work' at times. if you dont have
    D> something nice to say dont say anything at all.

    it IS work for most of us. does that make any sense to you? programming
    is a profession that happens to be able to be learned as a hobby. too
    bad lawyers and doctors don't have to answer stuff from people who don't
    even respect them. do you ask your doctor how to do minor surgery and
    expect an answer?

    so if you want help, you should respect the group rules (as posted in
    the guidelines) and the regulars will be glad to help. if you flout the
    rules and expect to be spoon fed you will get what you deserve. most of
    the regulars here are professional coders who donate time here because
    they love perl. your attitude is disrepectful of what they do. and you
    expect all of this and pay nothing as well. go see what redmond will do
    for you for that kind of payment.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Nov 24, 2003
  5. > >>>>> "D" == Default <Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz> writes:

    > D> nod.. alot of people here seem 'uptight' and way to quick to scold
    > D> someone. mabey cause im just using perl for a hobby.. but this
    > D> group makes perl seem like 'work' at times. if you dont have
    > D> something nice to say dont say anything at all.
    >
    > it IS work for most of us. does that make any sense to you? programming
    > is a profession that happens to be able to be learned as a hobby. too
    > bad lawyers and doctors don't have to answer stuff from people who don't
    > even respect them. do you ask your doctor how to do minor surgery and
    > expect an answer?
    >
    > so if you want help, you should respect the group rules (as posted in
    > the guidelines) and the regulars will be glad to help. if you flout the
    > rules and expect to be spoon fed you will get what you deserve. most of
    > the regulars here are professional coders who donate time here because
    > they love perl. your attitude is disrepectful of what they do. and you
    > expect all of this and pay nothing as well. go see what redmond will do
    > for you for that kind of payment.
    >
    > uri
    >
    > --
    > Uri Guttman ------ -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
    > --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
    > Search or Offer Perl Jobs ---------------------------- http://jobs.perl.org

    well im just saying that the attitude of many of the "professional" posters here
    is generally not very friendly. its seems they tend to scan posts just looking to
    scold, not everyone of course but some certainly do. the very same post that was
    used in the example was answered be two other people in the same time it took one
    person to complain about the post. why dont some people just leave moderating to
    the moderators and not answer a post if they cant be helpfull.

    Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz, Nov 24, 2003
  6. bbxrider

    Uri Guttman Guest

    D> well im just saying that the attitude of many of the "professional"
    D> posters here is generally not very friendly. its seems they tend
    D> to scan posts just looking to scold, not everyone of course but
    D> some certainly do. the very same post that was used in the example
    D> was answered be two other people in the same time it took one
    D> person to complain about the post. why dont some people just leave
    D> moderating to the moderators and not answer a post if they cant be
    D> helpfull.

    you have not been here long enough to make such a comment. and the
    classic answer to you is do it yourself if you want a kinder and gentler
    channel. the regulars are not nasty in general but some poster are too
    selfish and lazy to appreciate the help. and just giving out answers is
    not the function of this group. it is about DISCUSSING perl, not solving
    problems for anyone who posts. if you ask questions and show code you
    will almost always get reasonable responses. it is those who don't
    follow the guidelines who complain about it. wonder why that happens.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Nov 24, 2003
  7. bbxrider

    Tintin Guest

    "bbxrider" <> wrote in message
    > i can't know the exact motivation of tintin's comments and if i
    > misintrepeted, i regret that.
    > the extent and tone of his reply, solely as written, seems to be

    questioning
    > my right to even ask the question
    > it has a sarcastic tone and it seems to be scolding or demeaning, if thats
    > all somebody has to say without
    > any hint of 'maybe you should try this or read this, etc' then i can only
    > assume they have not other motivation
    > other than negativity.

    The purpose of my comment is that I wouldn't like to claim a piece of code I
    found (that isn't peer reviewed) works without fully understanding how it
    works.

    The reason for this is that unless you provide a wide range of test data to
    see if there are any flaws in the code, it's a little difficult to tell how
    well it works.

    I can't for the life of me comprehend how you managed to take offense at
    that and interpret it as scolding, demeaning and sarcastic.

    Tintin, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz wrote in

    > for example:
    > Default@IO_Error_1011101.xyz wrote:
    >> any way i can accomplish this?

    > Accomplish what?
    >
    >> the initial print never seems to work,

    > Work?
    >
    >> untill there is another command after the initial print.
    >> (\n <stdin> etc..)

    > Sorry, don't understand.
    >
    > Please (re-)read the posting guidelines
    > http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html
    > and rewrite your question, following the advice in the guidelines.

    And you percieved this as nasty and arrogant, somehow?

    --
    Eric

    Eric J. Roode, Nov 24, 2003
  9. bbxrider

    bbxrider Guest

    ok lets close this book, thanks for clarifying tintin, i guess this is what
    what i was wondering about your
    comment, so i do owe you an apology
    and by the way i do understand the code much better now, again i thank
    everybody for their help, this
    works for me
    and also did some more testing of that original code after reading the info
    from gunnar:

    use URI::Escape;
    $safe = uri_escape("10% is -%20- enough\n");
    $str = uri_unescape($safe);
    print "raw result of 10%.... is $safe<br>";
    print "result of 10% is enough... after uri_unescape is $str<br>";
    $safe=~ s/%([0-9A-Fa-f]{2})/chr(hex($1))/ge ;
    print "result of 10% is enough... after regular expression is $safe";

    the results printed on a web page were:
    raw result of 10%.... is 10%25%20is%20-%2520-%20enough%0A
    result of 10% is enough... after uri_unescape is 10% is -%20- enough
    result of 10% is enough... after regular expression is 10% is -%20- enough

    the results of using uri_unescape seem to be the same as the RE, at least
    with this particular string
    so that gives me more confidence about the validity of the code
    however, i must admit as well, that especially with regular exrpessions, i
    will probably be wondering
    if it really will always work for a quite a while

    bbxrider, Nov 24, 2003