Clarification on XML schema ?????

Guest

Dear all,

What is the real puprose on using an XML schema (XSD) ???
This is still a bit unclear for me, is it just in case we would like to
tranmit data to an other applciation and rebuild a dataset based on that
schema or is there other reason ?

thnaks for your reply
regards
serge

Eliyahu Goldin

Validation. You can make sure you get and make documents in right format.

Eliyahu

Guest

Ok but if I am using XML document for instance just to provide data to an
outside world and I just need to read them , do I need that schema any way ?

I understand that schema is usufull when you are writting data in order that
they match with the format you are expected, but when you simply wnat to read
them I do not think that schema is a must ..

What is your opinion ?

regards

Eliyahu Goldin

That's right, schema is not a must. You make your choice depending on your
preferences, the same as with all other validations. You may choose to be
sure that what you get is already validated and then you don't have to care
much about exceptions in the code. Or, alternatively, you may choose not to
validate your input and take care of exceptions in the code. Of cause you
can choose also partial validation.

Eliyahu

Guest

OK lets say that I uinsg shema in my xml file. How then you validate that the
entry is corresponding to what is expected ?

When you do such thing I guess the purpose is to write directly in the xml
file or do you usually pass through a dataset object first ?