    Am i correct to assume that ASP.NET 2.0 requires .Net 2.0?

    And, what version of ASP.NET is supported on Windows Mobile 2003 devices?

    Thanks!

    charliewest, Apr 4, 2005

  2. charliewest

    Brock Allen Guest

    Support in ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 is done with the ASP.NET Mobile Controls --
    it's a seperate download that contains a set of server side controls designed
    to render on hand-held style of device (cHTML and the like). There was something
    similar for 1.0 but I forget what it was. That's the story going forward.
    I imagine that in a service pack or some additional download after 2.0 is
    released there will be a new library targeted for 2.0. They were close to
    adding new support in 2.0 for mobile rendering but it was cut from the final
    release -- I suspect primarily due to timelines and the need to ship.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Apr 4, 2005

  3. charliewest

    charliewest Guest

    Is this to say unofficially that the enhancements in ASP.NET 2.0 for mobile
    devices is not as "spectacular" as the documentation leads to believe?

    I've read the whitepaper "Migrating from ASP.NET 1.x to ASP.NET 2.0" and
    this reads that the MMIT and mobile controls have been "rolled into the main
    framework". I had understood this to mean that the same controls used for
    PC-based web-forms would work flawlessly on Mobile-based web-forms?

    charliewest, Apr 5, 2005
  4. charliewest

    Brock Allen Guest

    > Is this to say unofficially that the enhancements in ASP.NET 2.0 for
    > mobile devices is not as "spectacular" as the documentation leads to
    > believe?
    >
    > I've read the whitepaper "Migrating from ASP.NET 1.x to ASP.NET 2.0"
    > and this reads that the MMIT and mobile controls have been "rolled
    > into the main framework". I had understood this to mean that the same
    > controls used for PC-based web-forms would work flawlessly on
    > Mobile-based web-forms?

    In Beta1 things were looking good, but then this update on changes in Beta2
    was released:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/whidbey/beta2changes.aspx

    Brock Allen, Apr 5, 2005